Best Lube for Door Hinges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like chainsaw bar and chain lube. Thin enough to get in and sticky enough to stay put. I keep a pump can of it on my toolbox with a magnetic clip. All my customers hood latches get a squirt too as nobody else seems to lube them anymore.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like chainsaw bar and chain lube. Thin enough to get in and sticky enough to stay put. I keep a pump can of it on my toolbox with a magnetic clip. All my customers hood latches get a squirt too as nobody else seems to lube them anymore.
I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for a post that's helpful.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I use this stuff called Rust Inhibitor, my buddy's dad is a dealer for the stuff so I got a bottle of it for free; lubed up my door hinges, tailgate hinge points, hood latch, hosed down my leaf springs and greased up a whole bunch of hinges on the dually too.

It's dialectric, penetrates rust; does a whole bunch of other **** too. I need to stick the damn thing in my toolbox so I've got it when I need it.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This stuff works very well. Never had something work on my hood release and hinges for more than a few weeks. Door hinges are silent and smooth.

https://imgur.com/hp1ZJvF

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WD-40 is fairly thin,and doesn't last very long... Lithium grease makes an awful mess, gets dried out,and cakes up.
I use engine oil along with using compressed air to get it deep into bushings,and re-oil. Seems to last,and last...

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Boeshield for hinges and similar things. I especially use it for tools that get used rarely. The humidity is bad and things will rust quickly. If I am not using something for a while I coat it with the Boeshield.

https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The top hinge assembly on my Suburban is in rough shape. White lithium shuts it up and makes the door open and close nice and smooth.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I've heard white lithium grease, I've heard Silicone spray, I've heard motor oil, gear oil, ATF, chain lube, you name it. I actually just used some REM oil out of my gun cabinet a few minutes ago and it seems to work just fine.

Just curious, what is everyone's preference for door hinge lube and why?
I use ACDelco Super Lube #12346241. It does the job and quiets hinges nicely as well as make them perform smoothly. You can also use it to lube up the key cylinders if needed.