Best Drop-In Speaker Setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for all that info. What do you think about your experience with Kicker so far? I haven't heard many good things about Kicker since they started distributing to Walmart.

Kind of irrelevant since you decided to stick with OEM, but for what it's worth...

I wouldn't let the fact that ANY brand distributes/sells through Wal-Mart scare you away from them. Pioneer sells some of their lower end stuff at Wal-Mart and I run head units from them that had MSRPs of over $1000 when they were new. Just because a brand caters to the low end as well doesn't mean their nice stuff is garbage.

I've been a Kicker fan for quite a while, for different reasons over the years. I used to run two Solo-Baric L7 12's in an old Maxima, that started my whole car audio addiction. They're not the cleanest sounding subs out there, but those square SBs will pound in a sealed box. Later on I became a lot more interested in sound quality as opposed to volume, and discovered that Kicker had some great entry-mid level interior speakers. I run some really nice DLS Reference series speakers in my red truck and I feel like the Kicker KS series in the Suburban give them a run for their money, especially considering the difference in price points. Like anyone else, the cheaper stuff they make isn't the greatest. But Kicker's KS series and up are pretty damn decent. Same with their subs, the Comps are meh but the Solo Barics are LOUD.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Kind of irrelevant since you decided to stick with OEM, but for what it's worth...

I wouldn't let the fact that ANY brand distributes/sells through Wal-Mart scare you away from them. Pioneer sells some of their lower end stuff at Wal-Mart and I run head units from them that had MSRPs of over $1000 when they were new. Just because a brand caters to the low end as well doesn't mean their nice stuff is garbage.

I've been a Kicker fan for quite a while, for different reasons over the years. I used to run two Solo-Baric L7 12's in an old Maxima, that started my whole car audio addiction. They're not the cleanest sounding subs out there, but those square SBs will pound in a sealed box. Later on I became a lot more interested in sound quality as opposed to volume, and discovered that Kicker had some great entry-mid level interior speakers. I run some really nice DLS Reference series speakers in my red truck and I feel like the Kicker KS series in the Suburban give them a run for their money, especially considering the difference in price points. Like anyone else, the cheaper stuff they make isn't the greatest. But Kicker's KS series and up are pretty damn decent. Same with their subs, the Comps are meh but the Solo Barics are LOUD.
Man, the Kicker KS series speakers sounds like one hell of a setup. I wish it was an option, but I don't think it will be.

The whole reason for sticking to OE is because in the next 2 years or so, I probably won't be driving the Suburban anymore. We've been discussing the topic for a while and my parents just worry for my safety being that my suburban only has 1 airbag (even though it weighs a ton haha). It tears my heart thinking I have to part with the 'burb, but it's for the best interests of my parents. They told me it'll just be a truck to get me through high school, then we'll get something nicer. Keep the 'burb for the lower insurance rates, then buy another truck to drive.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Tis true, I should have clarified, I use crutchfield to get a basic idea of sizes then shop around other places to actually buy them.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother replacing the rear speakers. To much of a PITA in my opinion. Just focus on a nice set of speakers for the front soundstage.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Took me all of 5 minutes to change them out... not sure what's a PITA about it.
Forgot to update this but these came in a few days ago...
You must be registered for see images attach
Had to drill out some new rear screw holes because the kickers didn't line up.
Bought the kickers because the one of the discontinued OEM ones was $75.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Forgot to update this but these came in a few days ago...
You must be registered for see images attach
Had to drill out some new rear screw holes because the kickers didn't line up.
Bought the kickers because the one of the discontinued OEM ones was $75.
Did you try flipping them? I did not have to drill any holes on mine.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took me all of 5 minutes to change them out... not sure what's a PITA about it.

Didn't realize you were talking about Suburbans. Extended cab trucks are a different story. I need to read better. Lol.