Best Drop-In Speaker Setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
My speaker system has been acting up lately and I've decided to go ahead and check my rear roof speakers and found that one of them is blown. I've decided to upgrade my whole sound system and was wondering what size speakers I will need to purchase to replace the rear roof and doors without modification? Thank you so much for your help.

Curt

Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I've checked Crutchfield. They say that 6.5" or 6.75" speakers will fit in the doors and 4x10" will fit in the rear roof. Are those measurements correct? If they are, which door speaker will fit w/o modding the door?

Those measurements are correct, and either of the door sizes they recommend should work fine in the front doors. Especially if you get the adapters that they recommend which have multiple bolt patterns.

The rear doors are really more set up for 6.75" in my opinion. You could do 6.5"s back there, but you might have to drill holes. I used 6.75"s back there and they fit like a glove, even re-used the factory pressure fasteners.

The rear roof speakers are 4X10s. Be wary though, even some 4X10s will need a little work with a grinder to make them fit in the hole. Seems that the ACDelco ones were a little different shape than most aftermarket options. However, I can say that in my experience Kicker KS series 4X10s will fit just fine with no modification necessary.

In fact I recommend Kicker's KS series highly for a nice budget speaker option across the board. That's what I'm using in my Suburban all around. Nice rubber surrounds so they'll last a while, good signal response and THD ratings, and nice silk dome tweeters. If you want to go all out and spend a ton of money look at Focal's Power series, but the Kicker KS would be plenty for most people.

EDIT - Whatever you do, don't buy from Crutchfield if you can help it. They're a great place to shop but they're overpriced as hell. Get the model numbers for what you want and plug them into Amazon.

Curt

Reaction score
Those measurements are correct, and either of the door sizes they recommend should work fine in the front doors. Especially if you get the adapters that they recommend which have multiple bolt patterns.

The rear doors are really more set up for 6.75" in my opinion. You could do 6.5"s back there, but you might have to drill holes. I used 6.75"s back there and they fit like a glove, even re-used the factory pressure fasteners.

The rear roof speakers are 4X10s. Be wary though, even some 4X10s will need a little work with a grinder to make them fit in the hole. Seems that the ACDelco ones were a little different shape than most aftermarket options. However, I can say that in my experience Kicker KS series 4X10s will fit just fine with no modification necessary.

In fact I recommend Kicker's KS series highly for a nice budget speaker option across the board. That's what I'm using in my Suburban all around. Nice rubber surrounds so they'll last a while, good signal response and THD ratings, and nice silk dome tweeters. If you want to go all out and spend a ton of money look at Focal's Power series, but the Kicker KS would be plenty for most people.

EDIT - Whatever you do, don't buy from Crutchfield if you can help it. They're a great place to shop but they're overpriced as hell. Get the model numbers for what you want and plug them into Amazon.

Wow, thank you for all that info. What do you think about your experience with Kicker so far? I haven't heard many good things about Kicker since they started distributing to Walmart.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score

Kicker KS series is exactly what I'm running in all speaker locations. The 4x10s fit perfectly. Great sound.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
BTW, the 6.5" on the 2 rear doors do fit, but as @df2x4 some of the holes don't line up. I didn't have a problem with that though, I just went through the sheet metal on the few that were like that. I used rubber washers as a precaution to any vibration.

Curt

Reaction score
Talked the price over with my parents. They weren't too stoked to hear that a whole new speaker setup would cost $250+ considering the truck is 20 years old. We came to the conclusion that it'd be better if we replace the blown 4x10 with an OE 4x10. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.