best axle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Country_Proud

Reaction score
Hey everyone i'm looking for info on best axles for swap. Right now i have a 93 with the 14 bolt semi float and ifs. I'm doing a rebuild of the truck something completely custom. My plans are to upgrade the frame on my truck ALOT! to convert my truck into a dually. I'm wondering what axles would be best to do the swap. I i will be using the truck for some light off roading not to worried about weight. But will be using it for truck pulls towing all that fun stuff. I have a few axles have in mind just looking for more info. axles are dana 60 front modded to 40 spline with lockers with dana 80 40 spline in rear. Ive also thought of doing rockwells or axletech 4000s. its not gonna be daily driver and will be spinning 40"+ mud tires.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Completely depends on money and power plant. My 60 and 14 bolt FF are plenty for what I do.

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've come into this thread several times, typed a reply, then deleted it, I think I now have something constructive to say.

Your best bet is to look at other trucks in your area or trucks that do the kind of 4 wheeling you want to do. Then decide how you want yours built. It's not just about axles, it's about how the whole truck preforms as a whole. You need to decide on a transfer case and tire size and engine and transmission, not just axles.

For me and the type of 4 wheeling I do putting a dana 44 under the front of my rig isn't even an option, and that's only for 37" tires, even a built 44 wouldn't last a year. A np241 transfer case might hold up for a while, if everything is kept in tip top shape, an Atlas is a much better option though very expensive. Transmissions, again 4l60e, not an option, 4l80e or nv4500, that's it.

We haven't even begun to discuss suspension types, leafs or links. If links 3 link or 4 link? If 4 link dual triangulated or single? There's way more to a truck then just axles.

Like I said, I think your best bet is to look at other trucks in your area and see what they run, it's generally a good place to start.

I hope that was constructive enough, and that i didn't come off as a ******...