Bargain Brand or Name brand?

Whats your pick? Does the name brand have better protection and additives?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I heard that most of the bargain brands are just made by the Brand names. Also leave the brand name that you use and why you use it too.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both of my trucks get regular yellow bottle Pennzoil conventional 5W-30 every 3500 miles (with Wix filters) for two reasons. First, that's what they've always gotten since they were brand new. Second, a Blackstone Labs analysis of said oil at 3500 mile change intervals from each truck reveals no evidence of engine wear, and plenty of usable life left in the oil and additives. I'm not going to try and fix it if it's not broken.

I would be curious to see a Blackstone Labs analysis for bargain oil and name brand oil out of the same vehicle at the same change interval back to back, just out of curiosity. I'm not going to volunteer to change my oil habits to do it, though. :lol:

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mobile 1 because it don't require the knowledge of roman numerals :jester: With all joking to the side I used it for the first oil change in Blue and have used it every since.
Never had any engine failures is all I can say !
And as far as snake oil additives I have never believed in them, what I believe in is scheduled maintenance and taking care of things before they break.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
i run whatever autozones 19.99 special is at the time in my truck. Pontiac has been on a Pennzoil platinum diet, and my Malibu hasn't made it to its first change yet. the truck never seemed to care what it gets, 5 years with no problems oil related

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use mostly Valvoline MaxLife for my rides (cuz they're all high mileage LOL) but the O'Reilly's oil is Havoline and have used that from time to time depending on the sales at the time.

Dave454ss

Reaction score
Depends on the application...

-Delvac in my DMax, Whatever Brand Name Oil is on sale in the gassers, JD Plus50II Syn in my Equipment.
IMHO I think changing your oil at a reasonable level is more important then the brand. I believe in a 3k OCI. Ran my 240k mile 5.3 Oil thru Blackstone once and they said the sample was mint...proof enough for me I'm doing what I should be.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
Pennzoil 5W-30 every 3000 miles or one year which ever comes first... last year I put 1,800 miles on the old girl...

Sent from my Commodore 64 using 300 Baud Modem.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Castrol because it works for me.I've had multiple high mileage vehicles using it.But like Dave says regular changes are the most important.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For my chevy i use what ever is cheapest. It burns a qt every tank of gas so the oil never has time to really break down. On my ford I use mobil 1.