Bang for the buck Functional Renewal of rust belt '99 C2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'96+ Vortec Distributors - A visual perspective on the P1345 DTC for misfire troubleshooters (Part 1)

As a troubleshooter, my favorite engine parts are the ones that:

A) Rarely fail.
B) When they do fail, the failure footprint is both unique and intuitive.
C) There is a much better part readily available that can be used to prevent similar failures down the road.

A perfect example of the above would be a stock connecting rod that fails due to being asked to work at
a higher hp & rpm level than it was designed to handle. More failed connecting rods are seen at the dragstrip
in the heat of battle than in an idling car being rolled through a drive-through car wash. It all makes sense.

And then there's the Vortec distributor. Applying lessons learned during old school SBC distributor troubleshooting
(ie: what worked from '55-'95) can lead us old-timers down the garden path. And the guys raised on modern stationary
ignition distribution systems (dedicated Coil near Plug / Coil on Plug) find the distribution of sparks via a spinning rotor
to be just this side of trying to get a Jacob's ladder to work under the hood.
(Nice home-brewed Jacob's ladder - the good stuff starts at ~2:08)

Meanwhile, most of the guys that were factory trained on the quirks associated with the Vortec dizzy when it was first
released 28 years ago are either retired or increasingly hard to find in the real world. And given the ever-cheapening
parts in our supply chain, these last-gasp distributors can fail too often, cause a blurry failure footprint that can make
it look/feel like the engine is suffering from a fuel delivery or mechanical sealing issue, and the search is on for a 'better
than OEM' replacement for those of us who prefer our GMT400s on the road, rain or shine.

On top of all this, people with a good track record are reporting that they have driven long periods of time with a P1345 DTC
with no ill effects. On the other hand, different people are experiencing significant intermittent misfires that go away with
clearing a P1345 DTC. The more I studied the P1345 issue, it seemed that if achieving the factory specified setting wasn't
possible (more on this later) ...an error in one direction made a much bigger difference than an error in the opposing direction?
What does this mean?

Given that the majority of troubleshooter types are Visual Learners, I am hoping that the following illustration will
help to snap everything into sharper focus:

You must be registered for see images attach

(Inverted cap view. Actual rotor rotation is Clockwise from the mechanic in engine bay bird's-eye view. See 1st attachment for normal cap view.)

Here's a list of things to ponder as a troubleshooter while looking at the picture above:

* As discussed elsewhere in the forum, on Vortec engines the base timing comes from the CKP
(CranK Position) sensor, NOT from the physical twisting of the distributor housing as expected by those of
us who were raised on conventional distributors. (Whether mechanical points, HEI large or TBI small cap.)
In English, just because the timing is correct does *not* mean that the rotor is correctly lined up with the
spark plug wire terminals. This is why there is the CMP vs CKP sync check. Some scan tools will refer to
this as "CMP Ret". (CaM Position Retard.)

* When you look at the cap remember that because we're dealing with 4-stroke engines, the crank spins
720° for the cam (and distributor) to rotate 360°. But since everything is referenced off of the crank position,
the best that I can figure out is that when the 'CMP Ret' is reported to be 20°, this means that the distributor is
physically off 10°.

* As we know, there is 90° of crank rotation between each cylinder firing. And because of the 2:1 ratio of cam to crank
timing gears, there is a corresponding 45° distributor rotation from 1 spark plug terminal to the next. Looking at
the 45° orange pie slice that I drew, you can see that the spark plug terminal has (physically) 22.5° before and after
it set aside for the constantly varying timing spark to occur. If you look at the spark timing light blue arc that I drew
(marked up in crankshaft degrees) this is where the spark will occur IF the 'CMP RET' is set to 0°. (Refer to 3D timing
map in the 3rd attachment.) But if you look through the forum you will see plenty of discussions where the CMP RET
is off by a full tooth (~27.7°) or more. (!)

If you take that blue arc and move it from the correct position to + or - 28° (simulating a mis-stabbed dizzy) then you
can start to see how this distributor housing phasing error can cause misfires to adjacent cylinders when either near
the base timing -or- near max timing. It does make a difference!

* Let's say that we're supposed to be firing the #8 cylinder at the top of the photo. Let's say that the distributor
is off so that the rotor is closer to the #1 distributor cap terminal. Since the #1 cylinder is already 90 degrees after
#8 in the firing order, IF the spark were to go to #1 there's no long term harm done, for that spark plug is firing into
a cylinder that's already burned it's charge. (But at the same time the #8 misfire will still be felt.)

On the other hand, let's say that the distributor is off in the other direction far enough that the #4 spark plug terminal
is the closest. So instead of firing #8 at the correct time we end up firing the #4 cylinder early. In this case, we are
setting up a situation where we could be causing detonation from a too-early firing, the pressure builds up too soon,
and is trying to force the #4 cylinder back down the bore. (And if #4 lights off early + the missing power stroke in #8,
this could cause a much more noticeable knock in #4 + misfire in #8 combo.)

* But given that normal spark timing is anywhere from TDC to ~40° BTDC it's easier to set up a crossfire on the
already burning cylinder *before* in the firing order than it is to cause a crossfire with the spark plug terminal that's
*after* the correct cylinder in the firing order. And since the 13 teeth on the distributor gear divided into 360° = ~27.7°
per gear tooth, then as you can see it's possible to stab the distributor in such a way where these before or after
adjacent cylinder misfires are possible.

NOTE: Instead of all or nothing, due to the fact that the ignition timing is constantly moving, if the distributor is set
somewhat off but the engine still runs, then there's the high probability that the correct cylinder terminal will be the
closest during the 'mid-range' values of the spark map. But at one extreme, the misfires will be more pronounced
where the most timing is rolled in by the computer.

On the other end of the mistimed continuum, the vehicle is super rough at/near base timing, but actually clears up a
bit when the computer adds more timing and suddenly now the correct terminal is closest? With careful observation
from the driver's seat, instead of "it's intermittently running rough" careful analysis of the symptoms (only down low vs
only up high) will help us predict how much and which direction the distributor housing phasing error is. (!)

And that IF this distributor position error causes the symptom to present when the timing is near max advance, a lightly
loaded GMT400 with a driver driving a stick (who favors a lot of rpm) may report running into high rpm misfiring under
light load. Meanwhile, a different driver can load up that same vehicle, get in, drive in a lower rpm band, and thanks to
the combo of lower rpm and heavy load, not experience the misfire that the first driver felt? (Think dad & lad scenario
-- old salt vs hot shoe. :0) It's possible. And the reverse is true, all depending upon which direction the distributor
housing phasing error is in relationship to the camshaft/crankshaft.

I was going to discuss buying a replacement dizzy with the 13 tooth distributor gear installed 180° out, and how this
leads to a situation where 1 tooth is too far off in one direction, while the next tooth is off too far in the other direction,
but I'm not sure that anyone is still reading this...and frankly I am tired of typing & thinking. :0)

But I've been trying to figure out how @L31MaxExpress and @Schurkey could both report driving on P1345 DTCs
long term with no driveability issues, and thanks to a little basic geometry under the distributor cap while admiring that
3D spark table map, I can now see how this could occur. But for the vast majority of Vortec-powered GMT400 owners
reading this, it's best to set the CMP RET to the factory specs, and deal with one less troubleshooting variable, if for no
other reason than to allow the Black Box to more accurately diagnose misfires on your behalf.

Hope this helps someone out there. Whether it's the old guys who can remember setting their points gap on the side of
the road using a matchbook cover, or possibly the newer enthusiasts who are used to working on ignitions with no
moving parts involved between the VCM and the spark plug.

Cheers --

Attachments

• vortec distributor cap bird's eye view.jpg
    vortec distributor cap bird's eye view.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Delco Vortec Rotor 45 degree spark funnel.jpg
    Delco Vortec Rotor 45 degree spark funnel.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 383 SBC Spark Timing 3D chart with hints (EBL Flash II SA Help needed - Third Generation F-Bod...jpg
    383 SBC Spark Timing 3D chart with hints (EBL Flash II SA Help needed - Third Generation F-Bod...jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 29
  • P1345 CMP CKP sync specs (circled) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    P1345 CMP CKP sync specs (circled) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'96+ Vortec Distributors - The goal is simple, but requires complex calculations (Part 2)

First of all, apologies after the fact for the length of reply #111. If I had the skills to make a short animation,
about 90 seconds worth of moving that light blue arc of 'legit spark timing' into various error positions
(ie: full tooth off each way plus the 1/2 tooth off phasing errors) then it would have been a much easier problem demonstration.

The second thing I'd like to share before continuing is that for all the complexity of what goes into calculating the ideal amount of
spark advance, the actual goal is very simple: To maximize the energy transfer from a thermal burn inside a chamber into a twisting force
at the end of the crank, peak combustion pressure must be timed to occur at ~10° After Top Dead Center.

* Too soon before TDC = negative work, increasing pressure is trying to force the rising piston backwards down the bore.

* Peak pressure right at TDC = zero mechanical advantage of straight up/down connecting rod to crank throw = no net torque delivered.

* Peak pressure at 10° ATDC = pressure peaks where connecting rod has ability to push crankshaft in desired direction.
...(optimal coupling of rate of pressure increase vs crank degrees of rotation)

* Peak pressure too late = expanding gases are chasing after piston face that's being pulled down the bore by the crank = little or no torque transferred.

When it comes down to efficiency and true power generation, it's all about the timing. Combustion pressure timing, that is.

I have to admit that when I first starting working on engines watching spark timing in the real world seemed so noisy, chaotic, and
semi-random that I thought all the pretty theory I had read about spark timing was pointy head beachball-stacking nonsense. Of
course all the engines that I had access to in the beginning were so worn out that thanks to everything affecting everything else, it
was hard to see any discernible, predictable, underlying pattern.

But while tuning my first close-tolerance engine, the centrifugal advance (rpm) and vacuum advance (load) were so smooth
and consistent while monitoring with a timing light. And the engine ran so *smooth*. No extra noise, no drama, no shake,
rattle, or roll. All of a sudden all those ignition timing charts I had read about were now believable. A real defining moment in the hobby for yours truly. :0)

So, if you go back and look above at that EBL 3D timing map for a stroker SBC, they are just trying to time the start of the burn at just the right instant
for the combustion pressure to peak at 10° ATDC. (Often there's other sub-tables to fine tune for other variables like intake air charge temps, EGR valve
activated, etc...but we'll save that for a future flogging. :0)

Attachments

• advance curves.jpg
    advance curves.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Pressure pattern in dependence on ignition timing - Ignition timing - Wikipedia.jpg
    Pressure pattern in dependence on ignition timing - Ignition timing - Wikipedia.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Instrument Cluster Renewal -- Part 1, Clarifying the Bezel

At first glance, cleaning up the interior bits on a chore truck seems like
a hard to justify pure luxury. But for yours truly, if I have a clear
windshield & a gauge cluster that reads easily at a glance, day or night,
the driving experience allows me to focus on my situational awareness,
instead of focusing on my inability to see what's up -- you get to practice
the whole 'try easier' approach to driving.

Without further justification, here's the instrument cluster bezel. The
PO must have wiped off the dust on the plastic bezel using a dry cloth,
and given how soft the clear plastic is, that's a recipe for thousands of
tiny scratches that make for a hazy, indistinct view -- especially if direct
sun comes in through the driver's side window.

220K mile bezel as found on top - very hazy. On bottom is after using polish shown w/fine finishing foam pad on outside. (Hand polished inside of bezel.)

According to the camera's autofocus, it wanted to focus on the scratched bezel on top, but after wanted to focus on the gauge faces on the bottom photo. Me too!

Note: In order to show the improvement in clarity I'm having to capture light source
reflections in the bezel, which by the way is curved on purpose to avoid just this type
of reflection to the driver. This photo of the instrument cluster back in the home
position gives the reader a better idea of the real-world improvement:

In person, this is clear enough that the bezel itself all but disappears from view.

FWIW, I've attached a photo showing the before & after at an oblique angle while
looking at a bright light source. Note that I was working under 90/10 rules, so
the after photo shows that it still isn't perfect under this worst-case visual test...but
it's plenty OK when viewed in the installed position. (90/10 rules = 90%
improvement in 10% of the time required for pe.rfection. :0)

In Part 2 I'll share what replacing the burned out and/or silvered bulbs will
do for the driver when behind the wheel of the beast at O'dark thirty.
Maybe I missed it...but how exactly do you go about getting the instrument cluster lens off the cluster to clean/polish it? Both my trucks could use this, and if I'm lucky enough to find more Esky clusters, I'd like to be able to refresh the lens if it needs it.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it...but how exactly do you go about getting the instrument cluster lens off the cluster to clean/polish it? Both my trucks could use this, and if I'm lucky enough to find more Esky clusters, I'd like to be able to refresh the lens if it needs it.

Hello HotWheelsBurban,

On some vehicles you are forced to put enough pressure on the cloudy bezels that you feel like
you are going to shatter the irreplaceable assembly before you get it apart.

Good News! IIRC I was pleasantly surprised to discover that once (4) easily accessible screws
were removed the bezel and gauge cluster assembly came apart with little additional drama.
I did this awhile ago, but as far as I can remember there were no humbling memories or rough
language needed to get it apart. :0)

EDIT: I thought I was forgetting something. Once the 4 screws are out & the assembly is
removed from the dash, there are 4 clips (2 on a side, see attachment #3) that hold the bezel
to the instrument cluster.) Only takes seconds to separate them.

For completeness for others following along, here's the link on how to remove the instrument cluster: (1A Auto on Youtube)

Check out the 3 attached photos for the details. Let me know if you have any additional
questions -- I'll be happy to share whatever I have.

Cheers --

PS - Really consider doing this in your DD. It really changes the feel on the inside from an older
survivor to a fresh off the lot vibe. Not having to squint when you are checking to see what the
gauges are reading is pure luxury when driving old & enjoying it. :0)

Attachments

• gauge package on bench post fix clear light reflections (arrows + sml).jpg
    gauge package on bench post fix clear light reflections (arrows + sml).jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Youtube - How to Replace Instrument Panel 88-98 GMC K1500 (arrows).jpg
    Youtube - How to Replace Instrument Panel 88-98 GMC K1500 (arrows).jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 14
  • bezel post polishing as seen through same bright LED light (arrows + final sml).jpg
    bezel post polishing as seen through same bright LED light (arrows + final sml).jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hello HotWheelsBurban,

On some vehicles you are forced to put enough pressure on the cloudy bezels that you feel like
you are going to shatter the irreplaceable assembly before you get it apart.

Good News! IIRC I was pleasantly surprised to discover that once (4) easily accessible screws
were removed the bezel and gauge cluster assembly came apart with little additional drama.
I did this awhile ago, but as far as I can remember there were no humbling memories or rough
language needed to get it apart. :0)

EDIT: I thought I was forgetting something. Once the 4 screws are out & the assembly is
removed from the dash, there are 4 clips (2 on a side, see attachment #3) that hold the bezel
to the instrument cluster.) Only takes seconds to separate them.

For completeness for others following along, here's the link on how to remove the instrument cluster: (A1 Auto on Youtube)

Check out the 3 attached photos for the details. Let me know if you have any additional
questions -- I'll be happy to share whatever I have.

Cheers --

PS - Really consider doing this in your DD. It really changes the feel on the inside from an older
survivor to a fresh off the lot vibe. Not having to squint when you are checking to see what the
gauges are reading is pure luxury when driving old & enjoying it. :0)
Yes I want to do this on both trucks. I'm sure some bulbs could use replacement too. Rawhide the crew cab didn't come with the CD player and the cassette deck in the head unit doesn't work (probably a broken belt). So I want to replace/add those as well...there goes that dreaded mission creep!
My brother got an adapter that goes in the cig lighter and links to the Bluetooth on his phone, so with the Spotify and Sirius XM he has, we can get a LOT of music coming through the speakers....but I'm old school enough to want a physical music player too.
Thanks for the information!

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I want to do this on both trucks. I'm sure some bulbs could use replacement too.

Of all the things in a vehicle, I used to be the most fearful of being able to salvage see-thru
bezels. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but it seems that the POs of most of my (well) used
rides had really done a number on these easily-damaged soft plastic bezels.

All the small stuff would easily buff out using the polishing materials in the photos above.
But I remember a car where the bezels had pretty deep scratches that the polish couldn't
correct. So, with nothing to lose I went after that bezel with wetsanding using very fine
paper. It worked!

The trick was to get the entire surface uniformly dull. I wetsanded with 1500 grit (rough as
I dared) ...then 2000, 2500, and finally 3000 grit. Post wetsanding is always the low point
of the project, for you can't see through the bezel at all. But afterward, polishing using the
Meguiar's micro abrasives in lubricating juice brought it back to perfect clarity. And the
scratches were gone! Of course the bezel was a few thousandths thinner than it started, so
I remember being extra gentle putting it all back together.

For what it's worth, here's a cool video showing what is possible when you combine extremely
fine sanding/polishing with solid technique. Although they are turning a piece of stainless into a mirror,
the strategy is the same for clearing bezels, factory taillights, and headlights:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In the ideal world you pick up an instrument cluster for a dirt cheap price because the bezel is
rough, learn on that one, and then afterwards your DD lens in average condition will be a piece of cake
to do because you will have more skills & experience than necessary for success. (ie: Much lower stress
if you learn the new skill on a 'don't care' part instead of one that you will be living with. The second &
subsequent attempts always turn out better than the first. Unfortunately, took me awhile to figure that out.)

Fun stuff. Please be sure to share before / after shots on the lens in the Texas-size DD you got. :0)

Thanks for the information!

My pleasure!

Last edited: