Bad running after manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So another update, shop is still having a hard time.

They’re trying to get my ECM connected to a scan tool, and the ECM seems to not want to communicate with their tool. Odd right?

The ALDL port did work I was always able to use a paper clip to get codes.

Think the ECM is going bad?

By using a paper clip, did you deform the terminals enough that the shop’s ALDL mating plug isn’t making good electrical connection?

I won’t say it’s likely, but I’ll say it’s possible… depending on the size of paper clip you used, of course.

There’s nothing wrong with exchanging the ECM with another one, all that’s lost is some money and some time. I don’t think that the problem lies there, but I’ve been wrong before.

I think you’ve got some other things that need to be taken care of first that are obvious, such as the ground between the frame, the firewall and the engine.

Reflect on the story I told you in my earlier post. I’ve seen lots of people beat their heads against electrical problems and come up empty-handed. Many people just aren’t very good at debugging such things, lacking either the tools or the experience.

Last edited:

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By using a paper clip, did you deform the terminals enough that the shop’s ALDL mating plug isn’t making good electrical connection?

I won’t say it’s likely, but I’ll say it’s possible… depending on the size of paper clip you used, of course.

There’s nothing wrong with exchanging the ECM with another one, all that’s lost is some money and some time.
I don’t think the connector is deformed at all, I never bent the pins, just slight pressure so the paper clip would stay.

My local junkyard has a compatible ECM so I’m going to pick it up and let them try it out.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the connector is deformed at all, I never bent the pins, just slight pressure so the paper clip would stay.

My local junkyard has a compatible ECM so I’m going to pick it up and let them try it out.

I edited my previous message, reread it :waytogo:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I may pull the truck out of this shop and continue self diagnoses, replacing grounds etc

I think it would be wise to clean up any outstanding issues yourself and, if problems persist and can't be overcome, take it to a shop.

Do you have a scan tool?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it would be wise to clean up any outstanding issues yourself and, if problems persist and can't be overcome, take it to a shop.

Do you have a scan tool?
I decided to let him put in the used ECM I picked up from the junkyard. Just came back from the shop.

There is power at the ALDL connector but his scan tool doesn’t connect, and he’s done it many times on these trucks. ECM does look suspect putting it that way.

He seems to be doing a decent job at diagnosis from what he’s telling me today. He’s checking wires all over by the engine bay, fuse panel, ECM etc for power, and everything is coming back normal.

And no I don’t have my own scan tool sadly.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also the ECM I got is a 16197427, should work based off our earlier conversations. Hopefully it is compatible with my existing PROM.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the ECM I got is a 16197427, should work based off our earlier conversations. Hopefully it is compatible with my existing PROM.

The 16197427 runs an $0D config same as yours, but I'm not certain that it's interchangeable with the earlier 1619xxxx in yours.

I'm not saying it's not, I'm just saying "I don't know, it certainly might".

Time will tell. See what the shop tells you.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the ECM seems to not want to communicate with their tool.

The ALDL port did work I was always able to use a paper clip to get codes.

Think the ECM is going bad?
Possible. Could be a wiring issue, either broken/pinched wires, or someone installed a wire into the wrong socket of a connector body.

My first guess is that there's a problem with the scan tool. What tool is this? Maybe it's got the wrong software for your application, or someone isn't connecting it properly--typing in the wrong VIN number digits, or something.