Bad Gas Mileage? Tips or Improvments?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sledneck047

Reaction score
Im getting kinda bad gas milage, Ive been getting 10-11.8 mpg around town (i have ran 7-8 tanks). I have a 97 K1500 5.7 Vortec. It indeed has a 6 inch lift but i only have 31 inch tires (I was going to be putting 35's but then saw my mpg). I was expecting 13-14 mpg around town and 15-16 on highway. I have noticed it does idol kinda high. Could this be a problem? I may be fretting over nothing but i thought it would get better...any tips
Thanks for your help!

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buy a Honda...

In all seriousness though, my 88 (mildly built 350, 33x12.5, 3.73s) doesn't get any better mpg than what you're getting. You could try a tune up. IE replacing the cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, air filter, etc. Run some injector cleaner through it. Pretty much the only way you are going to see a change in fuel consumption is to make sure the truck runs better and even then it may not be enough for you to notice a difference. Face it, you drive pickup with all the aerodynamic properties of a brick from a time when fuel economy wasn't a staple in automotive design. Sad truth is you're gonna have to suffer a bit at the pump to drive one of these pigs. For most of us its a love hate kinda relationship. We love the GMT-400s therefore we pay the price.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Also replace your O2 sensors in that tune up, check your tire pressure, all of that can be contributing factors that add up and take it from there.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
if you ever smell fuel after you come to a stop at a mcd's or a garage or something I'd check for leaks up and down your lines.. other then that it's tune up time and better gearing.

ald94

Reaction score
Get a tonneau cover for the bed. Sounds crazy but the air going over the cab gets caught at the tail gate and creates a slight drag on the truck. Not sure the exact amount of MPGs you'll get outa it but I have heard 1-3MPG extra from adding this.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man i feel like i don't get ****...lol i average about 8-9 around town with factory suspension little bigger tires. pretty mild cam ect i just don't get why mines so ******...

BOTMAN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man i feel like i don't get ****...lol i average about 8-9 around town with factory suspension little bigger tires. pretty mild cam ect i just don't get why mines so ******...

:dunno: my last tank was 21.3mpg mixed driving..

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
:dunno: my last tank was 21.3mpg mixed driving..

2wd VS 4wd makes a world of difference!!! I would check the front axle engage motor to see if it is working correctly, personally I have had two that were lazy to the point that I had to back up to get them to disengage if they were warm enough. the engage motors are the most neglected item in our 4X4's, at least the ones that I have owned. I'm busted LOL get under there, grab the front drive shaft and try to turn it. if it don't turn you need to dig into it deeper!!!