Bad Converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If mine does throw a code I'm going to just buy the O2 sensor simulators some of the threads ive read on here suggested them. Hopefully they actually work.
O2 sensor simulators? Are those exactly how they sound?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can just double up two spark plug non foulers between the bung and sensor. Many have good luck doing this

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I say this every time it comes up... But you 96+ Vortec guys who want to delete cats or post cat O2 sensors are really making it hard on yourselves with all these "O2 simulators" and dummy cats and whatnot.

Look up Black Bear Performance (or any of the other reputable tuners who support these trucks), pay them $300 for a tuned PCM, request that they tune out your rear O2 sensors, and enjoy. Plus if you have a 98+ truck you can have them disable PassLock. PLUS your truck will be much more responsive and fun to drive. PLUS... You'll have a spare PCM if you ever want to go back to stock. I know it's $300, but it's the best $300 you'll ever spend on your truck. Takes ten minutes to swap out the PCMs.

To answer the original question of "how long before this throws a check engine light?" My guess would be you'll see it in a day or two. Sometimes codes take a few drive cycles to register.

Edited because my grammar sucks.

Last edited:

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I say this every time it comes up... But you 96+ Vortec guys who want to delete cats or post cat O2 sensors are really making it hard on yourself with all these "O2 simulators" and dummy cats and whatnot.

Look up Black Bear Performance (or any of the other reputable tuners who support these trucks), pay them $300 for a tuned PCM, request that they tune out your rear O2 sensors, and enjoy. Plus if you have a 98+ truck you can have them disable PassLock. PLUS your truck will be much more responsive and fun to drive. PLUS... You'll have a spare PCM if you ever want to go back to stock. I know it's $300, but it's the best $300 you'll ever spend on your truck. Takes ten minutes to swap out the PCMs.

To answer the original question of "how long before this throws a check engine light?" My guess would be you'll see it in a day or two. Sometimes codes take a few drive cycles to register.
My truck was already tuned by PCM for less and runs great. I'm just throwing the simulators out there because for the guy that doesn't want to spend 300 bucks its a good option. Or for me to have my truck down for a week to a week and half.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My truck was already tuned by PCM for less and runs great. I'm just throwing the simulators out there because for the guy that doesn't want to spend 300 bucks its a good option. Or for me to have my truck down for a week to a week and half.

PCM For Less doesn't offer adjustments on their tunes? Black Bear offers free re-tunes for life, you just pay shipping.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PCM For Less doesn't offer adjustments on their tunes? Black Bear offers free re-tunes for life, you just pay shipping.
I'm not sure ill get ahold of them and ask. I thought they did its just having my truck be down for a week or two is gunna be tough.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure ill get ahold of them and ask. I thought they did its just having my truck be down for a week or two is gunna be tough.

Yeah that does suck. That's why I kept my stock PCM when I had my red truck tuned and just paid the core charge from Black Bear. That way I can just swap back if I need to. IIRC it was only an extra $40 or so.

You could probably go grab a spare PCM from a yard and swap that into your truck during the downtime, you'd just have to make sure it was from something with all the same powertrain options.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that does suck. That's why I kept my stock PCM when I had my red truck tuned and just paid the core charge from Black Bear. That way I can just swap back if I need to. IIRC it was only an extra $40 or so.

You could probably go grab a spare PCM from a yard and swap that into your truck during the downtime, you'd just have to make sure it was from something with all the same powertrain options.
Ill probably just suck it up and send it in then I don't have to worry about it again like you said, I just emailed PCM for less so we will see what happens I'm hoping its like you said if I have to just pay the shipping and even like 50 bucks ill be happy with that.