Bad Converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan to me!

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a big hole saw to empty the cat on my truck and welded the piece back in. About a year and 5,000 miles and no CEL yet. The exhaust does sound a little different

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just thought id mention I got ahold of Keith at PCM for less and he said most likely when he did my tune he tuned them out anyways so that makes sense why the Service engine light hasn't come on. Which is great I don't have to mess with it now! Shout out to Keith at PCM for less for responding so quickly and great service.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of odd that he'd do that without you requesting it, I'd be a little upset if I found that out. In your particular situation that works out great though haha. Would definitely explain the lack of the check engine light.

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of odd that he'd do that without you requesting it, I'd be a little upset if I found that out. In your particular situation that works out great though haha. Would definitely explain the lack of the check engine light.
When i got my cats removed from the muffler shop, the guy said i didnt need my o2's and that it didnt matter, I call bullshit and thats what got me upset... even if you were talking to kwslvdo96.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When i got my cats removed from the muffler shop, the guy said i didnt need my o2's and that it didnt matter, I call bullshit and thats what got me upset... even if you were talking to kwslvdo96.

Yeah, I was talking to him. And I agree, if you haven't tuned the rear O2 sensors out of the PCM then I'd leave them alone. Although I'm still of the belief that all the post-cat O2s do is check the cats, so they shouldn't make any difference in how the truck runs. Others have apparently had different experiences, though.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I guess we will soon find out, if the service engine light comes on then ill get ahold of PCM for less and just have them tune it out. If it stays off awesome, I'm not upset if he did turn them off because they don't do anything anyways so which is why people have them tuned out. But like I said time will tell ill keep you guys updated if the light does come on or not and if I have any performance issues.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not surprised a tuner removed the rear o2s. Simplifies the system I've seen a Ford trim fuel from a rear 02 never a GM but I've not looked either. That said I'd hope they would tell you.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I say this every time it comes up... But you 96+ Vortec guys who want to delete cats or post cat O2 sensors are really making it hard on yourselves with all these "O2 simulators" and dummy cats and whatnot.

Look up Black Bear Performance (or any of the other reputable tuners who support these trucks), pay them $300 for a tuned PCM, request that they tune out your rear O2 sensors, and enjoy. Plus if you have a 98+ truck you can have them disable PassLock. PLUS your truck will be much more responsive and fun to drive. PLUS... You'll have a spare PCM if you ever want to go back to stock. I know it's $300, but it's the best $300 you'll ever spend on your truck. Takes ten minutes to swap out the PCMs.

To answer the original question of "how long before this throws a check engine light?" My guess would be you'll see it in a day or two. Sometimes codes take a few drive cycles to register.

Edited because my grammar sucks.

@ least you noticed & cared enough to fix it, I & others thank you

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just thought id throw an update in so far everything is great still no service engine light, gas mileage has stayed the same and performance is a little bit better at higher rpm I've towed my camper twice already this year about 350 miles and I tow in 3rd gear at 65 to 70mph which is 2600 to 2800rpm and it seems to have a little more upstairs. As far as a nasty smell it has more potent gas smell but it doesn't stink to me actually smells kinda good haha. I did gain a little more sound but I also had some 10 inch long resonators installed where that cats were so I could keep the same sound I had and you can only tell when your on it.