Bad Converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I had one of my converters went bad a few days ago so I read about 5 different threads on here and decided to just have them cut out and I had some straight thru resonators installed. So far I haven't had any service engine lights at all I thought for sure it would throw a code? I was gunna buy the O2 sensor bypass sensors but at this point truck runs great and there is no service engine light. How long do you think I will be able to go without throwing a engine light?

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Deleted my cats and the truck runs fine. But, the exhaust smells real bad now. I just got a pair of universal cats that I'm gonna get welded up this week. I hope it clears up the oder some

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i haven't noticed any smell yet, the resonators they welded in place of the converters were about 10inches long so maybe that's helping the smell and possibly tricking the sensors into thinking there is still a converter there.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Deleted my cats and the truck runs fine. But, the exhaust smells real bad now. I just got a pair of universal cats that I'm gonna get welded up this week. I hope it clears up the oder some
When you removed your converters did your service engine light ever come on? Or did it stay off?

mutanay

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you removed your converters did your service engine light ever come on? Or did it stay off?
Mine threw a code instantly. It ran fine for about 2 months up until my O2 sensors recently decided to now have my truck run like ****. It cuts power, it doesnt have any throttle response at all. i am in the slow lanes all the time now. I am wanting to put maganflow direct fits back and get new sensors to see if i get any of my power back.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine threw a code instantly. It ran fine for about 2 months up until my O2 sensors recently decided to now have my truck run like ****. It cuts power, it doesnt have any throttle response at all. i am in the slow lanes all the time now. I am wanting to put maganflow direct fits back and get new sensors to see if i get any of my power back.
That's strange that it would cause you to have no power? Maybe like you said might be the O2 sensors are bad my truck only has 69k miles so my sensors are fine it never threw a code at all even with the bad converter. The only reason I knew it was bad is that the inner baffling of the converter broke loose and it was rattling around. So maybe I'm just lucky so far. I'm going to be pulling my camper next weekend so If its going to throw a code it should it when I'm pushing it.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If mine does throw a code I'm going to just buy the O2 sensor simulators some of the threads ive read on here suggested them. Hopefully they actually work.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Well actually I had the whole exhaust replaced with a custom setup. I removed the back o2 sensors all together. I have check engine light for no o2 sensor activity. Truck doesn't run any different

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well actually I had the whole exhaust replaced with a custom setup. I removed the back o2 sensors all together. I have check engine light for no o2 sensor activity. Truck doesn't run any different
Gotcha, ya mine doesn't run any different everything seems normal. I'll be curious to see how long I make it till they throw a code.