Aux. input for 88-94 factory head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Hey guys, I kinda inadvertently found this today. Looks like a super cheap and easy way to add an auxiliary input to the factory headunits in the 88-94 trucks.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...gine/405135-aux-input-1994-cassette-deck.html

The first post explains how to do it while still keeping the cassette deck functional, although I don't really recommend the exact method described. You can probably just as easily put a switching jack (RadioShack part no. 274-246) in-line between the receiver and the cassette deck, rather than just plugging straight into the wiring. That way you won't have to use a blank tape and sound from the deck won't bleed into your auxiliary source.

If you don't have/want to get rid of the deck, check out post #9 and post #12. Can't get any easier than that.

I have the 95+ interior, so unfortunately I can't test this one. Any takers?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Awesome, now that you mention it, I believe I saw that pigtail for sale, but I never really thought about it.

Looks like the switching jack I linked to would definitely allow one to keep the cassette/EQ deck. You would just have to place a diode inline on the Tape On wire between the switch and cassette deck.

jcal73

Reaction score
Hey guys, I kinda inadvertently found this today. Looks like a super cheap and easy way to add an auxiliary input to the factory headunits in the 88-94 trucks.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...gine/405135-aux-input-1994-cassette-deck.html

The first post explains how to do it while still keeping the cassette deck functional, although I don't really recommend the exact method described. You can probably just as easily put a switching jack (RadioShack part no. 274-246) in-line between the receiver and the cassette deck, rather than just plugging straight into the wiring. That way you won't have to use a blank tape and sound from the deck won't bleed into your auxiliary source.

If you don't have/want to get rid of the deck, check out post #9 and post #12. Can't get any easier than that.

I have the 95+ interior, so unfortunately I can't test this one. Any takers?

Let me gather the required supplies and I will give it a shot.
Will that switching jack take the place of the power button?

Jeff

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
If you don't use a power switch, you'll have to have a tape playing to use the auxiliary input.

jcal73

Reaction score
I found this schematic (Thanks if someone here posted it) I can't remember where I found it.
You must be registered for see images attach

I just need to take my Fluke and see what the mute and tape on wires do when a tape is placed in the deck.
It may take a couple of weeks I will be traveling for work.

Jeff

jcal73

Reaction score
I bought the setup that 4thesporty had and it works really well. It kills the equalizer and the cassette, but sounds really good with my iPhone and my sons android phone.
We are going to run it that way.
The radio still works fine.
We are looking for the cassette delete panel to install in the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk