Aux. Battery With Pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWillmont

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tattooed4life and jcro thanks for the support and best of luck on the upgrades when the time comesif I can be of any assistance just drop me a line. 6chevy9 you are just ****** up a rope give it up already everybody here has given you valid reason NOT to use a yellow top. So I think you have reason enough to just drop it.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the two battery setup with the isolator because I like to play music etc with the car off and I like not having to worry about the truck not starting. so this is something I will probably end up doing in the future.

Reaction score
Tattooed4life and jcro thanks for the support and best of luck on the upgrades when the time comesif I can be of any assistance just drop me a line. 6chevy9 you are just ****** up a rope give it up already everybody here has given you valid reason NOT to use a yellow top. So I think you have reason enough to just drop it.

DWillmont, once again great write up on the battery install and thank you for ending the other half of the conversation.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have ran 2 batteries in all of my plow trucks except this one I have now, it has an optima that came with it from the previous owner. None of the 2 bat. trucks ever had any problems with the plow running, the new truck with the single optima gives me **** every time I plow. I hit my plow side to side or up and the volt gauge drops all the way down and the check engine light comes on. I had the whole charging system checked by a certified mechanic-not autozone and nothing seemed to be wrong. I explained my other setups and the mechanic felt I should change this truck over and that he has had no plow trucks ever come in with optimas that the owners were happy with. I will be using your post to do my plow truck. Thanks for the great write up.

this is how I feel, and will be using this write up and my brother's stock dual batt set up as guides for doing mine. Thank you OP.

People running winches, plows, or other heavy draw equipment can benofit from the added juice on demand. Even with fancy batteries and upgraded alt's two is better than one.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Solenoids and isolators are the same thing, just price is the difference...

They actually aren't the same thing. They are usually used for the same purpose but they aren't the same. An isolator is just a really large diode (think one way valve) where as a solenoid is just a really large relay. The isolator will have about a .7 voltage drop which is fine if you have an alternator that you can adjust the regulator up on. If not then your batteries won't charge as full as they would with a solenoid. The solenoid has basically no voltage drop since it is just like a relay.

With an Isolator the batteries will always be isolated. Even with the truck running. The solenoid will connect the 2 batteries in parallel once the key is turned to the on position (or however you wired it). They both have their pros and cons.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know this is a old thread but i am doing an aux. battey and putting it under my tonneau cover in a battery box, so my question is i already have the 0 gauge to run to the aux battery, can i put the solenoid next to the aux. battery in the bad? thanks

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Anvil 14

Reaction score
I installed dual batteries in my off-road rig.I used a continous duty(100%) solenoid sold at the local Big Rig shop made by Coe-Hersey.It was installed on Peterbilts,Freightliners,etc.Cost less than $30 and was instock.It allows 1 battery to be dedicated for starting only ,and the other 1 for the winch,lights, radio,etc.I can also boost myself.