Battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetboyb7

Reaction score
what’s up fellas I have a 97 gmc sierra k1500 .. I got it from my grandfather who had it for over 15+ years .. I’m dealing with a battery drain where I have to unplug a terminal after I shut it off because if I don’t then I’ll have to jumpstart the truck .. I took a fuse tester and after the truck is off and key out the ignition.. these are the fuses that light up .. can somebody knowledgeable help me with this issue ?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your problem is called " parasitic battery drain ". There are some excellent vids on utube doing a step by step on how to test what it where an item is drawing power with key off.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

The first thing that you can try and I have done every time I run in to a draw causing a drained battery, is leave the "a terminal" you refer to hooked up and I assume you mean one of the battery terminals, correct? Then unplug the alternator. If the battery was fully charged when left overnight and it starts ok the next morning, that typically means the alternator diodes are suspect. OR, Disconnect the negative battery cable from battery and attach a DVOM between the negative battery cable end and the negative post of battery and see what the milliamp reading is. If you read over 50 ma to 75 ma, then start unplugging fuses, one at a time and when the draw drops to the acceptable range, then you have found the circuit causing the problem. Then you see what is on that circuit. be aware, sometimes there can be more than one component powered with a single fuse.

Also, look at you tube videos for pics of what I am saying and other ways to locate the problem.