ARP Main Bolt differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm working bit by bit on learning how to build a stroker from a vortec 4 bolt. The block doesn't have main bolts and I wanted to get some ARP ones. However the website has a whole slew of bolts for large and small journals (no medium journals though) and ones for a windage tray and ones without. I'm just not sure on which I would need for my application.
I'm using a cast steel scat crank with. 3.75 inch stroke if it helps.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
With no main bolts, you likely don't have the correct main caps married to their respective places on the block. Will need to bolt them up one at a time and measure the bore, trying each to make sure they are correct. Likely need to line bore the block.

68? and older was small journal, you have large journals.

Are you planning on using a windage tray, or hand fitting a scraper to the crank and rod profile for oil control? Keep in mind that you would likely have to modify ( space ) the windage tray further away for the stroker crank.

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you need a windage tray or scraper? I figured I would have to modify it for a stroker.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Do you need a windage tray or scraper? I figured I would have to modify it for a stroker.

There is no specific need for one, but if you want to make power, it's an essentially free way to do so, and keep the oil from being aerated.

A baffled oil pan can also help to keep the oil pickup submerged in oil under high lateral and braking forces, however this is not likely to be a problem in a truck, unless you are planning on road racing it.

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No this is basically just gonna be a tow pig for when I PCS and doing hauling around the house. Thank you for your input though. I'm gonna look at different windage trays.