Anyone running the United Motors vented distributor cap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like 454CID mentioned, the GMT400 pickups don't use any vacuum in their HVAC controls - all electronic. The exception would be that one heater control valve used on some of the SUV models. So if you want to use the vacuum method you may need to choose a different source.

The GM TSB about the distributor vents seems to only cover models other than 400's which is puzzling to me as I can't imagine they use a different distributor. Maybe there's some revision? Anyway, if there are still vent screens in the base of your Vortec distributor, pop 'em out and straight to the trash with them, and then be sure the vent holes are clear. The bulletin is GM TSB 03-06-04-041A by the way, and for whatever reason that one little bit of info doesn't just jump out at you when researching the subject. Here's mention of it by NAPA but they're using it to suggest buying their Echlin distributor cap which has brass instead of aluminum terminals. https://www.napaechlin.com/media/3137/ei002-05-gm-vortec-distributor-issue.pdf

TSB info aside, the vented cap offered by United seems like another way to achieve this.

Richard
In the past I too have used the United cap. The little vent dome pulled right off its slight press fit leaving a perfect vacuum nipple. However that leaves a path for dirt to enter unless you supply a filtered fresh air vent. My setup closely replicates GM OptiSpark venting.

I also do not unerstand but ants of all things love high voltage electric contacts. I have seen them take up residence in both the well pressure switch and a distributor.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just because some of you not familiar with the species of ant I am talking about and will think I am full of it......turns out they love distributors. It happened to be my brother in-laws old Ford tractor, but they killed it dead until we diagnosed it and fixed it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just because some of you not familiar with the species of ant I am talking about and will think I am full of it......turns out they love distributors. It happened to be my brother in-laws old Ford tractor, but they killed it dead until we diagnosed it and fixed it.

Oh they're for real.. they seem to enjoy traffic light control boxes, too.

Richard