Anyone have experience with gmt800 trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nightowl3130

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My radiator on the driver side has jumped out of the place where it usually sits with a bushing on the bottom... i can say ive NEVER seen that before.
Hey, not sure if this is your prob, but I experianced this on my 96 gmc sierra after replacing lower rad hose. It twist around bottom of frame and has to be the exact right hose. I got an aftermarket and found the molding binded pushing rad up & out. I finally had to bite the bullet & get an AC Delco and solved my prob. Sometimes the simple things are major problems. Wish u luck.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
that seems on point to me never seen a ford that did not have a noisy power steering pump

That CII pump is very unforgiving. I think it's just abuse from the people who owned them prior, either running them dry or holding the steering wheel at lock. I've had good luck swapping CII's in from other passenger cars into the offending rigs to make them no longer offend.

The CII in my '88 Town Car doesn't whine, nor does the unit in the '93 F150 we just picked up.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am assuming you lubed all grease zerks while exposed. I am also assuming you cleaned each grease zerk first, before lubing.
yes, since so many were covered in so much grime I actually used about 3 steps to clean them all. Wire wheel attachment to clear majoirty, then some degreaser wipes to the area to clear the rest, then used an old 12v test light which is broken and stabbed into the push ball and forced it to let out a bit of grease to see if its dirty or if its full etc etcL
I didnt have any dirt come out doing that so I proceded to grease. the boots are in generally bad shape because doesnt take long for a lot of greease to come out. but none of the joints exhibit a lot of wear, so some might not be all that old. I think the only thing I didnt get was one on the steeering linkage by the driver .. because it was so caked in dirt i could find one digging with screwdriver I was gonna look into it

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That CII pump is very unforgiving. I think it's just abuse from the people who owned them prior, either running them dry or holding the steering wheel at lock. I've had good luck swapping CII's in from other passenger cars into the offending rigs to make them no longer offend.

The CII in my '88 Town Car doesn't whine, nor does the unit in the '93 F150 we just picked up.
Ive been personally victimized by the CII. No one victimzes a CII. Jk, but mine had a harsh beginning life. The thing about the C2 is they inherently suck and are very inefficient and make a LOT of heat and they have less capacity than even saginaw P pumps on gms have so the fluid is just cooking and the fluid also has to be Type F on the old trucks, put mercon in it and you ruin the seals etc... itsa combination thing. in my pump I wouldnt be surprised if the flow control valve (very simialr to saginaw p pumps) were sticking as well from overheats, cycling, because sometimes it runs great and makes no whine and is easy to steer. so i think it may be catching in the bore a

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am assuming you lubed all grease zerks while exposed. I am also assuming you cleaned each grease zerk first, before lubing.
yes I did clean the excess off too lol

Attachments

• 20240314_192734.jpg
    20240314_192734.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240314_192746.jpg
    20240314_192746.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240314_192810.jpg
    20240314_192810.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 6

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cleaning zerks in advance is important to keep from pushing dirt in the zerk while greasing but cleaning after greasing is just as important to help keep dirt from gathering.
Yes especially on a chassis situation
A coupole of the zerks have weak spring balls so i think i will replace them next go around and get more brake bleeder caps for them