any one dipped ther truck yet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
i recently dipped my truck with plasti-dip...tsunami hypershift...itchanges from green to blue and then to purple depending on the angle you are looking at it...
You must be registered for see images attach

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Mine has been dipped for 10 years was done with rattle cans before DYC was a thing.

Overall for the purpose of my needs its an amazing product it kept my truck rust free in jersey for the 10 years I was stationed up there. and prevented any new tiger stripes when off-roading. Now mine didn't have a sealer on it like they do now so mine is pretty chalky and needs a serious re-do as it starting to become a eyesore. but for the first 3 years even without the sealer it looked good for a 60 dollar paint job. yes it was that cheap back then now a pro kit I want to say runs like $500. back then I could get it in any color as long as it was matte black lol

By the way yours looks really good. I like the fenders and the body kit which I normally dont like on these 400s

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
so here all the details...just finished 1200 hrs of body work doing the wide body kit that i custom made myself...everything was sealed in 2k primer and wet sanded to 2000 grit...as far as the dip...the cost was about 1500 which included the pearls for the color and the advanced turbine sprayer....before you say that's way too much product...you need to know that in order to put down 2 coats ...it was 3 gallons of product....to get peel ability you have to have enough product ...the amount i put down was recommended by dipyourcar.com....i put down 10 gallons of base in flex blue...then 3 gallons of tsunami ultrashift mixed in clear topcoat..then 2 gallons of clear over that for a gloss finish...did this job in my driveway under a 18 x 20 tent i bought for 400 bucks....did the job last november, it was 60 degrees during the day and 40 near the end of the spray out...took me 12 hours to spray it out

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We plasti-dipped our race car with the color-shifting dip. Our race team captain applied it in his driveway. He said it laid down pretty easy, but you have to get the surface perfectly clean. We did not seal it. On the way to the track, our tow pig blew its Cummins, and as we were stopped on the side of a two mile long causeway, a semi drove past, blowing its engine and spitting oil all over creation. The little droplets of oil ate into the plasti-dip.

I'd say spend the extra money to seal it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We plasti-dipped our race car with the color-shifting dip. Our race team captain applied it in his driveway. He said it laid down pretty easy, but you have to get the surface perfectly clean. We did not seal it. On the way to the track, our tow pig blew its Cummins, and as we were stopped on the side of a two mile long causeway, a semi drove past, blowing its engine and spitting oil all over creation. The little droplets of oil ate into the plasti-dip.

I'd say spend the extra money to seal it.

I've seen you post this pic before but somehow just realized you were TARP Racing! I've never been to a LeMons event but I watch the wrap-ups on YouTube all the time. Now I have a team to root for!

On topic, this thread has some of the nicest applications of Plasti-Dip I've ever seen. :biggrin:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It's nice to have fans. If you get a chance to go to the Barber race, likely next February, do it. If we're there (i.e. if we don't break our car in Houston or Atlanta), stop by and say "Hi".

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
if you want to seal it next time look into dip armor....you can do pearls in the mid coat and then use dip armor and it will be protected from chemicals....standard plasti-dip will react to chemicals....i had a oil cooler line leak and the oil left discoloration in side the wheel well...also have to be careful getting gas