answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

severedchris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I think I have a serious problemo. When I put my truck in drive and my foot is on the brake I get a scratching noise. When I accelerate through first the sound gets louder with the rpm range. When the truck shifts into 2nd the sound goes away, and I don't hear the noise until I come to a stop again. I can put the trick in park and rev the engine and it sounds fine and the truck still shifts perfectly. Any answers?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I think I may have an issue along the lines of #25.

At say 70 mph it will vibrate when I either kick out of cruise or put my foot in the gas just a wee bit say to get to 72 to set my cruise. Thing is I can feel it all through the driveline and almost like it is coming from a warped rotor or something, even though the brakes are all new.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Ok so I think I may have an issue along the lines of #25.

At say 70 mph it will vibrate when I either kick out of cruise or put my foot in the gas just a wee bit say to get to 72 to set my cruise. Thing is I can feel it all through the driveline and almost like it is coming from a warped rotor or something, even though the brakes are all new.

How are your ujoints? Sounds like some slack in the system.

Beaver's Chevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a '94 two wheel drive with a 4L60E that needs to be rebuilt. Are they all the same? I found one on Craigslist, but it notes to be for a '96 and later model...???
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Erin

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Yes there is a difference. Mostly the connectors but is suggest rebuilding yourself. A few days ago i snapped something in my transmission and am currently doing my second rebuild on this transmission

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, got an interesting issue. Truck was driving fine, parked it for a couple hours with temps outside below freezing. Went to leave & normally I let it warm up first but was in a hurry & just started it & took off. About 3 block later it will not go into 3-4 gear, even manually shifting up from 1st. When it tries to shift into 3rd its like the clutch in a manual car pushed in, RPM's will go up but it just wants to coast. I can hit the brakes & it'll kick back down into second & drive normal until it tries to upshift again.

Would this be a solenoid issue? Maybe a 2-3 solenoid failure? Everything else seems perfectly fine except this & previously it had only a slight flare sometimes when shifting. Truck has 230k miles on it & is a 1997 with a 4L60.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
yes sounds like a solenoid issue, the electronics on these transmissions is what primarily fails for every day driving applications, and they seem in my experience to be very delecated, every time a rebuild a transmission im going to start replacing them because having them out of the fluid while its being rebuilt always seems to make them fail so after i get the transmission installed i always end up driving it around then notice that its not working right so then i have to re drop the pan and replace them, look around on ebay or let me know if you cant find anythying and ill send you links but i always suggest replacing all the electronics when you replace any of them just to save from redropping the pan 50 times, i have a 1997 Z71 with a 4l60e and the first 3 times i replaced my transmission, it wasnt even neccessary, just electronic issues, but ive also had hard parts fail too

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes sounds like a solenoid issue, the electronics on these transmissions is what primarily fails for every day driving applications, and they seem in my experience to be very delecated, every time a rebuild a transmission im going to start replacing them because having them out of the fluid while its being rebuilt always seems to make them fail so after i get the transmission installed i always end up driving it around then notice that its not working right so then i have to re drop the pan and replace them, look around on ebay or let me know if you cant find anythying and ill send you links but i always suggest replacing all the electronics when you replace any of them just to save from redropping the pan 50 times, i have a 1997 Z71 with a 4l60e and the first 3 times i replaced my transmission, it wasnt even neccessary, just electronic issues, but ive also had hard parts fail too

Could you please send me the links sir. I tried to look up some parts on O'rielly's site but I'm not real experienced with transmissions so I just wanna make sure I get the right parts.

This is a Z71 4wd truck as well if that makes any difference, year is a 1997