answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeck11

Reaction score
I think I might have #25 but I'm not 100% sure. When going 50 to 65 mph the rmp's jump up and down about 100 rmp's all the time but it only shudders and vibrates the truck some of the time. I want to try to fix it by myself and I have a couple ideas of what it might be but I just want to make sure what you guys think it might be. And I'm wondering if it might be a electrical problem?

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
well if your going to do a rebuild it really is a good idea to replace all of the solenoids and electronics in the pan because from my experience they tend to somehow go bad while everything is apart so if i were you id buy the electronics and replace them and then if the problem isnt fixed then id do a rebuild

cat-chevymech

Reaction score
My 4l60e early model will only shift at 4200 rpm doesent matter what throttle position or speed fluid is thin but smells great and is bright red i have a 18x24 oil cooler with a electric fan forcing air over the cooler so the tranny stays cool it wont get over 180deg when towing 13k and it started this problems after it sat in a mud holefor 5 hours till i could get a tractor out there and the truck idles at 1500 to 1000 rpm. Its a tbi350

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
sound electrical, best start for you would be to bring it to a shop to be plugged into a computer and see what it says, any engine codes?

cat-chevymech

Reaction score
83 tourque converter clutch
I think 42 but it was a electronic idle control

When i take it to the nearby shops they look at me like im on crack cause its obd1

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
have you tried changin the fluid?the fact that you said it was think and it started after sitting in a mud hole for 5 hours and you have code 83........coould possibly be something simple like it sucked in some water in the mud hole and the thin fluid is making the torque converter clutches malfunction, im not really sure but im split balling

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
Ok having some probs with mine not sure if its due to sitting so long or getting moved around a few times with out the cluster in it? I tried pulling the positive cable off the batt to reset the cpu no such luck. Im going to get the it scanned this week to check for codes. Now the issue is If I put it in drive it wont shift out of 1st but if I put it in first and manually shift to second it will shift. If I go into 3rd it wont engage. If it doesnt throw a code should I sart with a fluid and filter change or the solenoid. or change the fluid and see what happens. Thinkin it could have some gunk built up in there. The fluid level is correct looks clean etc. i have only put 8k on this truck in 2 and 1/2 years and it only has 10/15 k on trans rebuild that was done by GM. m truck is a 93 c1500.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
first of all i love your profile picture ive had it saved on my phone for years, and as far as your truck goes, judging off the fact that it sits for so long then it could be just a passage blockage but there isnt anyway to tell for sure just by reading that post, for an example, it could be as simple as just the shift solenoids not communicating with eachother for some reason, but the good news is that it defidently doesnt sound like a hard part problem which means that most likely youll be able to fix it from the pan, worst case is taking off the valve body, but check what the computer is saying first and we can go from there

chevy454

Reaction score
Ok having some probs with mine not sure if its due to sitting so long or getting moved around a few times with out the cluster in it? I tried pulling the positive cable off the batt to reset the cpu no such luck. Im going to get the it scanned this week to check for codes. Now the issue is If I put it in drive it wont shift out of 1st but if I put it in first and manually shift to second it will shift. If I go into 3rd it wont engage. If it doesnt throw a code should I sart with a fluid and filter change or the solenoid. or change the fluid and see what happens. Thinkin it could have some gunk built up in there. The fluid level is correct looks clean etc. i have only put 8k on this truck in 2 and 1/2 years and it only has 10/15 k on trans rebuild that was done by GM. m truck is a 93 c1500.

6. No 3rd or 4th gear: “3-4” clutches are worn out. R&R. The car is safe to drive (in 2) until you can get it fixed.

I ave a 88 chevy K3500 Its doing the same thing as His. I dont think its number 6 above there. First to second shift is sharp and strong if in F2 in D or OD it shifts into second at a very high RPM. I just replaced the tranny(I dont now what kind of truck the replacement is out of.) would this old of a truck have the internal elctronics or is it too old? One other piece of info i that while the trans was almost empty of fluid, it only too 6 bottles of trans fluid before the stick(stick is out of a 89 c1500) said full. When we first starte the truck up the reverse was in operable, but after a bunch of playing with it the rverse is rock solid now. the fluid on the stick looks brand new.
Last question, is there any difference in th tras dipstick of a 89 C1500 with a 16 bolt 700r4 and a 88 K2500 with the 16 bolt 700r4? thanks.