Another seafoam question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. So i did the seafoam treatment today on my 99 obs k1500 burb with the 5.7 with the can that has the spray hose attached to it. Watched the youtube videos and got er done. It only smoked for about 3 blocks then cleared up. Im assuming thats a good thing meaning the engine didn’t have much carbon build up or its just that bad it didnt do anything. About 2 weeks ago i used the can of seafoam with the brake booster vac hose and did a full bottle but it didnt hardly smoke then either. Am i doing it wrong?

The reason Ive been doing this because it has no go from a stop and rough idle. Sometimes it sounds cammed on first start unless its cold then it starts and runs fine. I cant even bark the tires in the shop on a wet floor and when you floor it from a stop it just boggs down. Its had a full tune up fuel filter cats removed and o2 sensors replaced( no check engine light either lol)and im trying to avoid the fuel spyder replacement cause i cant afford it but im thinking it will have to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted this in the wrong area could a mod move this to the correct area please

Bombader

Reaction score
Usually a bad injector will cause it to throw a misfire code P 300 or 30x depending on which cylinder it is at least my 97 did, they recommend changing the whole spider cuz if one went bad they're all going to be in about the same condition but you can replace them individually if price is a factor, the first time my number 8 injector was a problem I put it in a shop and for about $500 they only replaced that one but then number six did end up going bad shortly afterward (2 yrs) and it ended up messing up a valve and I had to have a head rebuilt that time, so maybe I should have replaced the whole entire spider assembly but the shop I took it to didn't even try to upsell me surprisingly.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cats removed and o2 sensors replaced( no check engine light either lol)

Does the check engine light come on (and go off after a few seconds) when it's first started?

Kind of surprised you aren't throwing a code for catalyst efficiency and some other code for the bogging down issue.

94FSblazer

Reaction score
Do you know if you have any exhaust leaks? I know this sounds dumb, but back when I had little leaks from the manifold and right before the cat and then a large muffler hole, when I would do my seafoam treatment, I barely saw any smoke. I think it just dissipated with all the leaks and seemed like there wasn't much smoke coming out. I changed filters and everything with the same result. Once I fixed my exhaust leaks, it smoked like crazy with 3/4 can thru the brake booster vac line. I know this is simple and would seem obvious, but just putting my past experience in the mix. *edit : i am in a 94 tbi, so it may be a little different with the vortec engine and injectors.
Good luck!

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seafoam in the intake is only cleaning the plenum & intake. GM's top engine cleaner or ACDelco's X66P is for use in a pressure pot at 10% with fuel to be ran thru the spider injectors. My TBI/EFI Kent-Moore fuel system big box has adaptors for fuel line attachment at the fuel filter, engine side. Shop air is supplied to the pressure pots regulator for line pressure to run what ever you require. These cleaner can damage the fuel pump if used in the tank. The problem with the poppet style injectors is they stick. Once close, you have to try to clean, raise pressure to pop them open or let them soak. Never had any luck with seafoam, but Berrymans B12 Chem-Tool works, but you have to get it into the injector to soak to un-stick. It is impossible to clean this style if you can not get the goddies thru them. Assuming you have not put the up-dated Multec injector style spider assembly in, if you isolate the offending cylinder(s), you can replace just that one. It's cheaper, but the entire set/ kit is more cost effective ($360+) in the long term compaired to replacing one at a time. I have a poppet injector spider complete in a new ACDelco box with no info or miles. You can have it for $15 with pay pal...It is cheaper that going to the salvage yard. You can PM me, send a call-tag thru your shipper account, I will provide address.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the check engine light come on (and go off after a few seconds) when it's first started?

Kind of surprised you aren't throwing a code for catalyst efficiency and some other code for the bogging down issue.

Yep normal cycle when started up. Once in a while it will come on for that code but after a few days it goes off. Its only ever had the catalyst code. Never anything else which is what is weird. Every time it comes on i run to the dealership and have “my” tech check it with the big boy code reader and its only the one code. No other code come up even when he checks for past codes.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seafoam in the intake is only cleaning the plenum & intake. GM's top engine cleaner or ACDelco's X66P is for use in a pressure pot at 10% with fuel to be ran thru the spider injectors. My TBI/EFI Kent-Moore fuel system big box has adaptors for fuel line attachment at the fuel filter, engine side. Shop air is supplied to the pressure pots regulator for line pressure to run what ever you require. These cleaner can damage the fuel pump if used in the tank. The problem with the poppet style injectors is they stick. Once close, you have to try to clean, raise pressure to pop them open or let them soak. Never had any luck with seafoam, but Berrymans B12 Chem-Tool works, but you have to get it into the injector to soak to un-stick. It is impossible to clean this style if you can not get the goddies thru them. Assuming you have not put the up-dated Multec injector style spider assembly in, if you isolate the offending cylinder(s), you can replace just that one. It's cheaper, but the entire set/ kit is more cost effective ($360+) in the long term compaired to replacing one at a time. I have a poppet injector spider complete in a new ACDelco box with no info or miles. You can have it for $15 with pay pal...It is cheaper that going to the salvage yard. You can PM me, send a call-tag thru your shipper account, I will provide address.

Yea thats the only thing i havent done is a dealer style injection cleaner. I know thats what needs to happen next cause of the reasons you talked about, so at the next oil change it will get done, and ill do plugs and wires my self same day. Thats going to be my last try before doing the updated fuel spyder. I appreciate the offer on the part but ill go with the multi point injector spyder if i replace it.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not familiar with other scan tools on the market, like Snappy sells, but the TECH2 will hold 5 failure codes. You may set 1 code, yet each time it happens, fail records are stored that show everything engine, TPS position, RPM, Air temp, Coolant temp...so a tech can reproduce the same driving conditions to confirm a customer complaint or confirm a repair. Some may not know, that if the engine is cranking, but a no-start, or start then die and not a VATs issue, but the TECH2 can be used by building the vehicle, engine data, record, hit soft key to start recording then crank. You can record up to 4 -5 minutes if memory is correct. This allows the obvious review of what is there...and what is not.