another problem with the 6.5 diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to pull codes.

The PMD will die sooner or later, it's just a fact. Relocated pmd's even die eventually.

Source Unknown

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There can be many issues with it stalling and not starting, start here:

http://oregonfuelinjection.com/index.php?page=sec/gm-chevy-diesel-diagnostic-info.htm#940065

You will have to scroll down or just click the link to the 1994-2000 6.5 diagnostics.

Oh my that a lot of info that i dont understand... lol

You need to pull codes.

The PMD will die sooner or later, it's just a fact. Relocated pmd's even die eventually.

Source Unknown

There are no codes.. the check engine light isnt on...

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I just checked your build thread, it says you bought the truck February 2012, has the check engine light ever come on? There is a possibility the bulb is burned or missing if you don't know the history of it. I would plug in a code reader and see if there is any codes.

If the truck is high mileage, there is a chance the injection pump is worn, and today's low sulfur fuels do not help in that regard.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea the check engine light works... its come on a few different times when the boost solenoid quit working... the injector pump was put on a couple of months before i bought the truck... and the truck just turned 110,000 miles

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sonds like a PMD. If it has never been replaced now is a good time to do it with a relocation kit. Sometimes the check engine light won't trip but some times it does pointing toward the Ip, so many IPs have been replaced because of a simpl pmd. The location of the pmd on the ip is just dumb. Relocate it to the bumper with a large heat sink.

Also make sure you lift pump is operating properly. While the truck is running, open the water drain valve at the front of the engine. If fuel comes out and truck continues to run, the lift pump works. If engine dies, lift pump is bad

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You need to pull codes.

Source Unknown

Yeah, like in 10-15 years.

If you do it right that is.

Mine is in year 6.

To the OP:

Just because the check engine light isn't on doesn't mean there's no codes. There are codes that related to running that can be stored but are not high level close enough to turn on the check engine light. Pmd's that are failing can set these codes, they can also set none.The first thing you need to do with running problems is confirm that the computer does not have active or history faults stored in memory.

all that said the pmd on these vehicles are high probability items for running faults. Random stalling is a common problem with a PMD starting to fail.

Very often when it is a pump mounted driver failing, the cruise control will stop working. Does your cruise engage at all? If it does not you can start counting in on being the pump mounted driver. I would first try removing the connector and checking for corrosion. Look down inside the cavity on the pump driver and check for corrosion on the pins or the resistor card.

is the pump driver still mounted on the pump? If it is it's highly likely he has killed it new design or not.

Last edited:

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
**update**

I bought and installed a stanadyne pmd from leroydiesel.. i even got a new 6'pmd cable... the new pmd is in the front bumper... the truck has been running great for a few days now!! Thanks everyone for your input!!