Annoying exhaust leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky24

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much should it cost to have that flange cut off and some couplers put in and a muffler welded in at an exhaust shop

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
How much should it cost to have that flange cut off and some couplers put in and a muffler welded in at an exhaust shop

To cut the flange off-your own labor
band clamp-$10+your labor
welding in a muffler- all shops are different

sparky24

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i may just do it all myself , im kind of out of time with this project though thats the only reason im considering taking it in. Never brought a vehicle to a mechanic in my life yet so it would be a big deal lol

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't go to a mechanic you'll get r@ped for sure. Go to an exhaust shop...

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Biggest problem with doing it your self is I am pretty sure its an uncommon size pipe like 2-3/4 or something. Without a exhaust pipe expander its going to be tricky at best.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll check it when I get home. I use a pipe tape measure circumference then divide it out.

Osiris94ej

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cut, copy, paste. Thats what I did. I removed the flanges and welded pipes together.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

sparky24

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you remember the ID and OD of the pipe?? it would be nice to get a size that slips right over then i can just weld around the seams on both ends

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
For the flanges, O'Reillys sells donuts that are made of a soft metal that clip into the exhaust manifolds and are tapered to sit inside the Y-pipe, and when you tighten them they kind of mold to get rid of any leakage. That's what I used when my donuts fell apart during the motor rebuild. Tighten the hell out of them with new flange bolts and you're good.