Amsoil Engine Flush? Should I Do It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you perform regular oil changes, there's nothing preventative about an oil flush. Maintaining the most perfectly clean oil does nothing above maintaining adequately clean oil. If you bought a truck that hasn't had regular maintenance, then an oil flush is preventative.

This^^^

Using all my fingers and toes, I figure I have 500K plus on TBI and Gen 1 Vortecs. Changing the oil frequently, religiously, and often, AND using name brand gas will keep an engine clean, and over time will generally clean up an engine too.

One of the biggest mistakes folks make is using gas that is not from Top Tier refineries and Top Tier brands of fuel. And the higher the octane rating the mo' better the additives that help keep the engine and CATS clean--just something to keep in mind.

Long story, but I've pulled the upper and lower intake and a head off of a friends Vortec that had two cans of Seafoam run through it in the previous week, and the results were not all that impressive. It didn't even remove much of the black soot that soon coats the inside of every upper intake on the Vortecs.

I had a 91 Light K2500 I bought with 10k on it, and I never had need to open that motor up. Not even a valve cover. Sold it to a kid who of course he had dreams of more horsepower. I went by his house one day when he was installing chrome valve covers, the heads and valve covers were clean as you could ask. The entire time I owned that truck I ran Penzoil "Semi Synthetic 4x4" 10-40 oil and changed the oil at 3k.