Amp decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i recently got alpine 6.5" component and coaxial (sps-600c and sps-600) speakers for my tahoe. they both run 80W rms a piece at 4 ohms. i'm looking to get an amp to power them thats less than $300 and still has good output. i have a rockford fosgate mono amp for my subs and i love it and has never given me any problems and plenty of power. heres 2 amps that i'm considering:

Rockford Fosgate R300-4 (rms: 50W x 4)
about $180 on amazon

Alpine PDX-4.100 (rms: 100W x 4)
about $290 on amazon

i know both are great quality but my question is more directed at is it better to go over or stay under? is it better to stay below the speaker rms and just not be able to crank it all the way (i had experience in the past of having under powered speakers and getting the static/crackling sound at higher end volume) or risk blowing the speakers by going above the speaker rms??

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya i have a RF mono amp like i said and i love it and would buy another RF product hands down. i've had alpine head unit and now speakers and i've always heard good things bout alpine but havent heard much on their amps. the only thing is that getting a RF amp to match close to my rms will be $$$$ from RF

found this: rockford fosgate p450.4

Last edited:

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i wouldnt go over man. you will blow them pretty quick. weather its subs or componant speakers. i used to be an installer. you eather want to match your speakers or subs rms with the amp or a little under because thats what they are rated for. if you go over yes you can get louder but it wont last long. i have seen people blow aftermarket speakers with stock head units only.