am i an idiot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgumoe

Reaction score
95 1500 ecsb 5.7l 4l60e. Long ago shortly after i bought this truck the original trans let go. Started buzzing at idle and slipping. I pulled it out and of course had no dough for a rebuild so i managed to find a junkyard trans from a 95 gmc Jimmy. Other than having to change to a shorter yoke on the output shaft everything went in with no problem. Prior to this i had never attempted to put the truck in any forward gear manually. This trans i cannot physically pull the shifter down to 1st gear. It stops at second. Is that normal? I know you cant control the 1-2 shift so i thought maybe gm just locked that detent out. But i dont know if the original trans did it as well. I never tried it. Other than slipping in reverse this junkyard piece functions fine. I'm on the fence right now about whether i want to blow my wad on finishing all the cosmetic and interior pieces or if i should get the original trans rebuilt and put it back in. Local guy says 1000 bucks with converter. Thats about what i had saved to finish everything else. Im wondering if the slipping reverse and the inability to move it into first are because something is jacked up or because it came from a jimmy. I know the 95 is a redheaded stepchild. Any thoughts?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it have a cable or linkage for shifting?

If it's a cable, it sounds like the same issue I had with a full size van I put a shift cable on.

It needed to be adjusted.

dgumoe

Reaction score
Its a cable setup. I didnt see any way to adjust it. Now doing some looking online, I see there is a way. Will have to try it this weekend. Who knows, maybe that will solve the slipping reverse problem too. If not, i may put a new boost valve in it.

dgumoe

Reaction score
Double post. Stupid phones. Sorry

Last edited:

dgumoe

Reaction score
Ok. Cable adjustment fixed the problem. Still slips in reverse. Ill throw a boost valve and a bottle of lucas in it next. If that dont fix it ill deal for now.