Alternator woes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive had 2 alternators go out in 2 days.
I will say that both came from a junkyard (cash is tight thanks to the holidays). But i wanted to see if anything else would cause this? I do have a sound system in my truck, but it does have a capacitor. Ive also had to run the heat on high and the wipers the last couple days. When i get some cash freed up im buying a high output anp (thinking about 200 amp). But i wanted to make sure im not gonna fry that one too.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First of all, I'd ditch the capacitor. I've seen those things cause so many problems, and they never actually solve the one they're supposed to. In fact they can make it much worse.

What is the amperage draw of your stereo? If you don't know that, what fuses are in your amplifiers and how many? That will at least give you an idea.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also have a ton of lights i run. sometimes i pull a trailer. And one day im gonna have the plow working

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
50A isn't terribly excessive for the stereo... But when you figure that the stock alternator was designed to power the accessories on the truck from the factory plus maybe 15% headroom, you're already stressing the factory alternator pretty hard.

Honestly if you're running a plow in addition to the lights and stereo, I doubt a 200A alt is going to cut it. I'd look into something more in the 300A range from DC Power Inc or a similarly well-reputed company. Make sure you're sitting down when you read the prices...

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For 3-4 months of use i dont think i can justify THAT much.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would be helpful to have more info on your vehicle (year/engine/alternator, etc.). Have you tested these alternators output after installing? At minimum, start the vehicle, turn off all electrical draws (except dtrl if you have them), let it run for a minute and check voltage at battery posts when idling and again above 2500 rpms.

Assuming the alternator is producing adequate power, the next item of business is to make sure the trucks electrical system is up to *****. Even if the battery's good, cables are tight, etc. you're adding additional demand from every added light, your old worn out blower and wiper motors, etc. Now consider the fact that every connection is old and likely loses its ability to conduct current, every ground that's loose or sketchy, every splice for your lights, undersize wires and battery cables, etc. Add up all the losses and you're losing considerable current, increasing the demand even further and really taxing that junkyard alternator.

If you're going to plow with an electric pump, you'll absolutely need to upsize battery cables, redo all grounds, turn off all unnecessary lights, stereo, etc., use LED flasher/strobe if needed, and you may still not have enough amps unless you're super efficient with the plow. Biggest problem I had when I started plowing was "happy hands", meaning I was constantly adjusting the plow up/down/left/right. Every time you even nudge the plow the pump runs and it sucks BIG power. First time was in my F250 PSD with a 7.5 Western and wings. Truck went into limp mode and I thought I toasted the trans. Fortunately, I just needed to learn to be more efficient so I didn't have to play with the controls so much.

Before you buy the high output form a parts store, I would recommend checking with other plow drivers to see what they run for alternators and if they can recommend a rebuilder to have one custom built. We have one here in Grand Rapids MI called Floyd's Electric. Last alternator they built for me was for that same truck when I installed a Fisher XLS plow. Loved the plow and cut my plow times by 35-50% depending on the lot. Problem was, being an expanding plow it used even more power and was just plain fun to use. Floyd's built me a 260 amp alternator and never suffered electrical anemia again. Price, IIRC was around $230 so roughly the same price as a new 110 amp.

If you'
You must be registered for see images attach
ve got a reputable alt builder it could be worth your time to check it out.