Alternator/tensioner bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 1998 Chevy k2500 with the 454. I've recently had a problem with the tensioner where the bolt stripped out it's threads as I was trying to relieve tension on the belt. I was looking around and there isn't really a replacement for the tensioner anymore with the exception of a Dorman replacement, which I've read doesn't align perfectly and I also just don't trust Dorman for important truck parts). And I also want to delete my AIR pump in the near future as it's been making a lot more noise lately and I don't really need it or want anymore as I'm in VA which doesn't need it. So I was wondering what alternator brackets I could use or if I have to find a 7.4L bracket

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you have an air pump, you have a California emissions engine. It uses a special alternator bracket. You should be able to find the Federal emissions bracket on ebay, or a salvage yard. It'll be a lot easier to find than if you were looking for the CA emissions bracket that you already have. You'll end up needing a different belt tensioner that's availble from a number of brands.

I'd suggest looking up the part number on one of the dealer parts websites, and searching ebay by that part number.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 1998 Chevy k2500 with the 454. I've recently had a problem with the tensioner where the bolt stripped out it's threads as I was trying to relieve tension on the belt. I was looking around and there isn't really a replacement for the tensioner anymore with the exception of a Dorman replacement, which I've read doesn't align perfectly and I also just don't trust Dorman for important truck parts). And I also want to delete my AIR pump in the near future as it's been making a lot more noise lately and I don't really need it or want anymore as I'm in VA which doesn't need it. So I was wondering what alternator brackets I could use or if I have to find a 7.4L bracket
For the L29 (7.4L V8) without RPO code K19 (AIR pump), the parts you would need are:

Alternator bracket: GM 10237279
Belt tensioner assembly: GM 89017309
Drive belt: GM 19370623

Last edited:

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score
I didn't strip the bracket mount. The way to relieve tension on the AIR injected 454s is you need a 1/2 inch or 13mm socket and you put it on the tensioner pulley bolt and go in the tightening direction. And over time, the threads wear out and strip. So I'm wanting to switch to the normal style tensioner where you just put a ratchet drive on it to relieve it, which replacements are still available for. Attached is the Dorman replacement for my current tensioner that I'm avoiding
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I didn't strip the bracket mount. The way to relieve tension on the AIR injected 454s is you need a 1/2 inch or 13mm socket and you put it on the tensioner pulley bolt and go in the tightening direction. And over time, the threads wear out and strip. So I'm wanting to switch to the normal style tensioner where you just put a ratchet drive on it to relieve it, which replacements are still available for
If those are like the one that the 5.7 Vortecs use, a bar with a 3/8" square drive is all that's needed. The one I have, I think Dad got it at Northern Tools many years ago; it's around 2' long. What I actually ended up using, on the crew cab, when replacing the belt the other day, was a ratchet, shorty extension, and a conduit cheater pipe. I forgot that the belt has to go over the alternator pulley, and then when you lean on the tensioner with the long bar, you can slide it under the idler pulley at the top of the front of the engine. Turns out I probably could have used the "proper" tool after all(I was thinking I needed a little more leverage).

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score
If those are like the one that the 5.7 Vortecs use, a bar with a 3/8" square drive is all that's needed. The one I have, I think Dad got it at Northern Tools many years ago; it's around 2' long. What I actually ended up using, on the crew cab, when replacing the belt the other day, was a ratchet, shorty extension, and a conduit cheater pipe. I forgot that the belt has to go over the alternator pulley, and then when you lean on the tensioner with the long bar, you can slide it under the idler pulley at the top of the front of the engine. Turns out I probably could have used the "proper" tool after all(I was thinking I needed a little more leverage).
I wish it was like those, my dad's 96 is like that. I don't have a slot for a drive or anything. It's literally just the pulley bolt. That's one of a few reasons I want to switch to the non AIR injection alternator bracket

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I wish it was like those, my dad's 96 is like that. I don't have a slot for a drive or anything. It's literally just the pulley bolt. That's one of a few reasons I want to switch to the non AIR injection alternator bracket
That's what I meant, the 49 state bracket and tensioner. All my 400s have the 350, only 454s I see are at the yards(when I get to go which ain't been in a while). I'm hoping to go before or after Christmas, gotta see what the weather does and what days I work. I started this year out by going to my local LKQ, about 5 miles from home, on New Year's Day. Got there right after they opened, and it was cool and foggy. Neat to about have the place to myself, for the first couple of hours.

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score
That's what I meant, the 49 state bracket and tensioner. All my 400s have the 350, only 454s I see are at the yards(when I get to go which ain't been in a while). I'm hoping to go before or after Christmas, gotta see what the weather does and what days I work. I started this year out by going to my local LKQ, about 5 miles from home, on New Year's Day. Got there right after they opened, and it was cool and foggy. Neat to about have the place to myself, for the first couple of hours.
I wish I could go through treasure yards to find things but gmt400s unfortunately aren't really out in VA anymore where I am so I stopped going. It does sound neat to have an entire yard almost to yourself though

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I wish I could go through treasure yards to find things but gmt400s unfortunately aren't really out in VA anymore where I am so I stopped going. It does sound neat to have an entire yard almost to yourself though
One of the nicest things about living in a huge city like Houston, is having lots of parts stores and several wrecking yards. Hopefully I can go visit the closest one before the end of this year, to get a few things for my metal kids and see what is out there. They have online inventory listings, that I check pretty often, and sometimes they have a 2500/3500 with a big block. I can see if they have any trucks with the bracket you're looking for, and PM you if I find one.