Alternator/tensioner bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score
One of the nicest things about living in a huge city like Houston, is having lots of parts stores and several wrecking yards. Hopefully I can go visit the closest one before the end of this year, to get a few things for my metal kids and see what is out there. They have online inventory listings, that I check pretty often, and sometimes they have a 2500/3500 with a big block. I can see if they have any trucks with the bracket you're looking for, and PM you if I find one.
Hopefully you find something if you do end up going!

If you want to try to find a bracket and pm me, I'd appreciate. I did find a yard in OK that claims they're willing to ship parts so I've mightve gotten lucky there, if they respond to my inquiry that is. Ebay, everyone is selling both brackets and/or all the front accessories and want $350+ for it so that's a no

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you find something if you do end up going!

If you want to try to find a bracket and pm me, I'd appreciate. I did find a yard in OK that claims they're willing to ship parts so I've mightve gotten lucky there, if they respond to my inquiry that is. Ebay, everyone is selling both brackets and/or all the front accessories and want $350+ for it so that's a no
I saw that one on ebay and didn’t even bother to post it at that price. I find it odd there’s no salvage yards in VA. I consider that a southern State. My trucks from there and rust free.

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score
I saw that one on ebay and didn’t even bother to post it at that price. I find it odd there’s no salvage yards in VA. I consider that a southern State. My trucks from there and rust free.
We do have them, they're just filled with gmt800s and newer. Even gmt400s aren't really on the road out here. I think it's just because of how close I am to the coast being the Hampton roads area but not entirely sure. We don't salt as we never get snow or anything ‍♂️

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do have them, they're just filled with gmt800s and newer. Even gmt400s aren't really on the road out here. I think it's just because of how close I am to the coast being the Hampton roads area but not entirely sure. We don't salt as we never get snow or anything ‍♂️
When I got mine, it was on the VA/KY line, they were everywhere it seemed. Head west young man!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Something I normally would not do, but I was tired an in a hurry when I did it. I used a pair of huge Channel Locks to grab onto the round-ish portion of the the tensioner on my Volvo 850 to put the belt back on. I was a bit amazed at how well it worked, and I didn't leave teeth marks in the aluminum. I bet you could do that with the CA emissions tensioner if you can't find Federal emissions parts quickly enough.

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score
When I got mine, it was on the VA/KY line, they were everywhere it seemed. Head west young man!
I may have to explore that way, thanks for letting me know! I thought they all pretty much died from out here.
I used a pair of huge Channel Locks to grab onto the round-ish portion of the the tensioner on my Volvo 850 to put the belt back on. I was a bit amazed at how well it worked, and I didn't leave teeth marks in the aluminum.
I can't believe that worked for you, it seems like getting the required leverage would be impossible. But that may be what I have to try next time

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 1998 Chevy k2500 with the 454. I've recently had a problem with the tensioner where the bolt stripped out it's threads as I was trying to relieve tension on the belt. I was looking around and there isn't really a replacement for the tensioner anymore with the exception of a Dorman replacement, which I've read doesn't align perfectly and I also just don't trust Dorman for important truck parts). And I also want to delete my AIR pump in the near future as it's been making a lot more noise lately and I don't really need it or want anymore as I'm in VA which doesn't need it. So I was wondering what alternator brackets I could use or if I have to find a 7.4L bracket
Yo T,

I'm in CA, Bay Area...plenty of PNP's around, what bracket are you needing and looking for? I can help you if I see one...

Please fill in the blanks:

'95-'99 - k2500 Chevy/GMC with a 454, is this truck and suburban?
3500's have this as well?

Picture of the bracket?

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score
Yo T,

I'm in CA, Bay Area...plenty of PNP's around, what bracket are you needing and looking for? I can help you if I see one...

Please fill in the blanks:

'95-'99 - k2500 Chevy/GMC with a 454, is this truck and suburban?
3500's have this as well?

Picture of the bracket?
I appreciate it, I was able to get a yard in OK to send a bracket for a reasonable price

Tan1998K2500

Reaction score
I know we all love pictures so I took a picture of the 2 brackets side by side so everyone can see the difference between them as well as the tensioner style. The swap was pretty straight forward though. Only problems I ran into is I had to disconnect the lower rad hose (I really didn't want too but I had spare coolant at least). That was to remove the 4th bolt holding the bracket to the head. The other problem I have is that only one bolt was long enough from the old bracket to the new one so I only have 2 of the 3 bolts holding it on. I ordered 2 new bolts from GM but they won't get here until early Jan. I'm not overly worried about it though. But yea, disconnected the pump a couple of days ago just to see if it would throw a CEL, it didn't to my surprise and the truck started up a decent amount quieter because that air pump was a little noisy. I plugged the hole on the intake elbow and then for now, I left the injection tubes on the manifolds with the check valve because the nut refuses to move so that may be an exhaust shop problem or I just replace the manifolds with shorty headers. Over all, very happy to finally have a non California 454

Attachments

• 20231224_125420.jpg
    20231224_125420.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 8