Alternator question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wstrnsky

Big Sky Country
Reaction score
I just installed a high output alt from DC Power. It is an AD244 alt 240 amp. My old alt had one wire plugged in, I had to get a new plug and wire that in so I could plug it in. My question is does my computer tell the alt when to turn on and off when voltage drops, and if so how can I make it so it doesn't turn on and off and stays on when the engine is running. I ask because the volts drop to 12.5 from 14.3 and then kick right back up to 14.8 almost like the alt was told to start up. The alt puts out a consistent 14.3 volt cold and drops to 13.9 when the engine is up to operating temp. Thanks for looking! and any and all advise is appreciated. P.S. I am also running a dual battery setup.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
The alternator's constantly supplying + to the battery, it should only fluctuate when there's a big load on the battery.

-Truckin'-

Wstrnsky

Big Sky Country
Reaction score
Aww ok, another stupid question.....what the heck is the one wire there for? is it essential to the function of the truck?