Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
someone on reddit told me it's the NP243 t-case , when i decoded the vin on a chevy website it said NP241 but i read online the 243 is just an electric 241 and since i have the push button im guessing it is the 243. options i have are 2hi 4hi and 4lo. nothing else "auto 4x4" etc. had a bad snow about 6 months ago hi went out first then hard to get into 4lo to get back home. once i did it's never came out since and ive tried ALOT by pushing that button with auto trans in neutral slowly rolling under 3mph like my manual says for both the manual floor shift and the push button i have. stuck a wire in the 13th pin on the obd 2 connector plug and grounded it to that nearby bolt under the dash i saw a guy on youtube using to test his and the truck goes from flashing all the lights when i turn the ignition to the run position , to flashing no lights at all if that wire is connected. bought a obd 2 blue tooth scanner called the elm 337 and while it works on my moms honda it doesnt on my GMC truck. dont know if it reads 4x4 codes or not anyway.

how do i go about figuring out if it's the front actuator the t-case actuator or the t-case encoder motor when im not able to get the switch to flash anything? when i press 2hi or 4hi while rolling under 3mph the tccm just clicks a bunch of times under the dash and the 2hi or 4hi light flashes then after a few seconds it goes back to the 4lo light and stops clicking. i dont here a click under the front end no more and also obviosuly dont hear the clunk of the t-case underneath me in the driver seat a second after now either.

any help is much appreciated. i havent been able to drive my truck in a long long time and it's my only vehicle.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are really only 2 things that can go bad, the buttons or the motor on the t-case. I'd take the motor off the t-case, and while its off but the key in the on position, cycle the buttons and see if you hear anything. Also try to manually change gears in t-case, just to verify the case is good. IIRC, if the actuator is bad, it will flash in 4wd. What my '00 does, it's SAS'd with the 243 case.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always start with make , model , year. We don't know what you have.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the owners manual says: vehicle motion stopped, parking brake on, engine running, transmission in neutral, then shift into or out of low range.

So when you are:
rolling under 3mph

the tccm just clicks a bunch of times under the dash and the 2hi or 4hi light flashes then after a few seconds it goes back to the 4lo light and stops clicking.

I'd say you're doing it wrong.

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the owners manual says: vehicle motion stopped, parking brake on, engine running, transmission in neutral, then shift into or out of low range.

So when you are:

I'd say you're doing it wrong.
troll? surely you read the title right? im pushing a button wrong? lmao i still have the manual in my glove box i know how to follow its instructions. roll under 3mph when selecting or leaving 4low. so i do exactly what it says. once i hit 90 on the interstate i mash 2hi while in drive and after it makes the grinding and popping noise 4x4 trucks do it still dont go into 4hi or 2hi! idk whats wrong with it. you have to get the revs so high to hit 90 in low and its makes a lug uh lug uh lug uh noise? and still doesnt go back. it says go over 3mph right? EDIT: damnit! it says under 3mph not over! doh!

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Just another note if you haven't tried already, the case will not shift between lo/hi if your regular brake is on. Rolling under 3mph or at a complete stop should not matter, rolling just makes it easier for the case to shift. Trans in neutral or park (try both). And parking brake should not matter.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I had a similar situation on a 2000 S10 Blazer. Just to baby it through the winter I found that if you press the desired range then turn the truck off while its blinking and start it back up a few seconds later it will finish the cycle and end up in the range that was blinking when it was shut down.