Air Lift or Firestone Helper Bag Kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering what everyone recommends, either one of these two or some other kit? I heard that the Air Lift kit requires notching the fender in some way? Looking to avoid that...

Ckeene

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Firestone . I have them on 2 of my trucks and really like them, also easy to install.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firestone . I have them on 2 of my trucks and really like them, also easy to install.

Thanks! I ordered a Firestone kit today. I'm going to return the Air Lift kit that I bought.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys know if the Firestone kit raises the back end when the bags are empty?

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No it doesnt lift the rear empty, but with bags it's best to keep 2-5 psi in them even when you aren't loaded. The airbag replaces your bumpstop.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I've installed hundreds of sets of Firestones, I think they are hands-down the best out there. Very easy installation.
And he is right, never run them completely empty.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've installed hundreds of sets of Firestones, I think they are hands-down the best out there. Very easy installation.

If you have access to a lift, how long would you say the typical installation is?

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score

What's your opinion on air lifts compared to helper springs when you're loading a truck up? Obviously the air lift would only be functioning when you've got it pumped up, but the helpers would raise it up permanently, no?

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like my airbags vs overload springs. The ride with overloads is too harsh, airbags you just let the air out when the load is off and it rides like factory again.

Installation took me about an hour and a half in the driveway if I remember.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Sorry for the slow reply, was out of town all weekend.

If you have access to a lift, how long would you say the typical installation is?

I never used a lift. If you get the kit that is matched up to your truck, it really shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours. The brackets just mount onto the frame/leaf springs and the bag goes in between. Bolt it all together, run your air lines and your set. Are you thinking of getting the bags only or are you going to get the compressor & control panel that mounts in the truck?

What's your opinion on air lifts compared to helper springs when you're loading a truck up? Obviously the air lift would only be functioning when you've got it pumped up, but the helpers would raise it up permanently, no?

I'd still go air bags over helper springs. I used them on my own truck when I had a truck camper - it was nice whenever I was on an uneven surface and I could level it out, it was also helpful when unloading. I'd put the legs down on the camper and then dump the air from my bags and pull out from under it.
I've installed helper springs, but I've never really used them myself.