Air cleaner assembly. Paint it or not?

Well?

• Yes.

Votes: 25 89.3%
  • No.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found this in the yard, of course. I was going to leave it as it to get that patina old school look.

Then, the Wife sees it and said Ewww you have to sandblast and paint that! It looks like $h1t on top of that shiny new engine.

Sigh.....

You must be registered for see images attach
If it were me, I would get a finned air cleaner like this or similar to match your valve covers. But if that's not doable, definitely listen to your wife.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it's painted. I just need a 350 sticker to slap on the cover. The muffler part, however, is yet another junkyard find and I thought it would fit straight on. It's cockeyed and falls short of connecting to the air cleaner. Hmmm.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If it were me, I would get a finned air cleaner like this or similar to match your valve covers. But if that's not doable, definitely listen to your wife.
Yes the TBI guys have way more choices on air cleaners!
As hot as it is most of the time in Houston, Texas, I can't see any point to one of those Vortec compatible air intake setups that have the cone filter in the hot engine compartment, instead of ducting "fresher, hopefully cooler" air from outside through the fender ductwork.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that that's the correct air cleaner assembly. My base doesn't have the flexible hose that mounts to the exhaust manifolds. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Maybe this one.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe this one.

Yeah that's probably it. The point is... I need a longer #10, lol. I'll get there, eventually (or, just replace the whole thing with something nice). Right now, my priority is the daggum exhaust. Thanks, though.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's probably it. The point is... I need a longer #10, lol. I'll get there, eventually (or, just replace the whole thing with something nice). Right now, my priority is the daggum exhaust. Thanks, though.
Just curious, did you find part #11 in junkyard?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just curious, did you find part #11 in junkyard?

Yes, I did. I think the better question at this point is: What DIDN'T I find in the junkyard.

Also, sorry to add to this and make it long winded, however, for every GMT400 I find in the yard, it bothers/saddens me that that's one less on the road :-(

The reason 99% of them are there: Rust. Usually the bodies are too far gone to fix (especially the plow trucks)... and the frames are not far behind. The engines, however, are usually fine.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did. I think the better question at this point is: What DIDN'T I find in the junkyard.

Also, sorry to add to this and make it long winded, however, for every GMT400 I find in the yard, it bothers/saddens me that that's one less on the road :-(

The reason 99% of them are there: Rust. Usually the bodies are too far gone to fix (especially the plow trucks)... and the frames are not far behind. The engines, however, are usually fine.
Your not alone.:bawl: