Air Bag Light On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccox

Reaction score
I put my body lift on and extended the steering shaft. Unfortunately, I didn't put the stock bolt back in and the shaft fell out when I pulled out of my road. I put the shaft back in and drove back home. I realigned the wheel and tightened everything up. Now my Air Bag Light is stuck on. What could be causing this? Would turning the wheel one way too many times have done this?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
If the steering wheel has made too many turns disconnected from the steering box, the clock spring could have been damaged.

Best thing to do is have it scanned to be sure.

WorkinMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just what twomanymontes said...if you turned it too many times one way or another, it most likely damaged the clock spring and will need to be replaced. The clock spring is what allows transfer of electricity between the air bag module and the airbag in your steering wheel. Your airbag module sends out checks multiple times a second to check for faults: variances in current or resistance. That allows the computer to detect a problem and if it does it automatically de-activates the system and turns the light on. A shop should be able to hook up to it and let you know for sure.