Advice needed on motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dans

Reaction score
Go it out today in the Texas heat.Ran into a problem taking off the intake manifold. The brass oil pressure sending unit adapter snapped off.Any tricks on using an aftermarket adapter?Not seeing this for sale anywere ,I hope I don't gotta go to the dealership. I already got the broken piece out of the manifold.

You must be registered for see images attach

dans

Reaction score
This piece.Also this manifold has a ton of oil caked on it.I can't tell were it was leaking from its so dirty from the previous owner. On my new motor I bought a new dizzy mounting gasket and the valve gaskets are new.Not sure if this oil sending unit was leaking also.Not sure if it uses rtv or a gasket.Man I don't know how I'm going to get this intake manifold clean. Maybe diesel fuel.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That oil pressure adapter can be built out if hardware store brass, it should be sealed with Teflon tape. The valve cover gaskets are rubber so no silicone there. I would drop the dizzy back in and used simple green with a medium brush and a water hose. Simple green is environmentally safe and it works well.

dans

Reaction score
Skylark you have great tips and have saved me a few hours.Do you know any tricks on tapping in the transmission front pump seal.I lightly bent the first one so I'm going to try again with a new part.I lightly bent the lip and it's in good but I think I better redo it instead of risking a leak and having to pull the transmission later.My old one was almost melted into the pump.Thanks again,Dan.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a socket turned around backwards on an extension so I can lightly tap on the extension and have the bade of the socket on the seal so it gets good even pressure across a larger area. Take your time and go slow.

dans

Reaction score
That's how I usually do it on Honda's.Now I guess I need to find a socket big enough and deep enough to clear the pump shaft.I have the 7004r pump.

dans

Reaction score
I made a tool to drive in the front oil pump seal.2 inch x 6 inch pvc pipe with a cap and a fitting on the other side that matches the oil seal.Slides over the shaft and taps in.Same idea as the socket but $7.Now it's time to install the intake manifold. I'm going kinda slow since work and the heat.I'm thinking about leaving the headers off until the motors in.More knuckle room to mess with those transmission bolts.

dans

Reaction score
Got the tranny bolted up and the mounts bolted in.I left off a lot of stuff so I'd have more room.Still gotta oil prime the motor and do a few more things.I searched online but I can't find any info on how much oil you add to run the priming tool.I guess I fill it full of oil then run the oil priming tool?

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good! Put the normal amount of oil in it and Prime away. I usually put the exhaust manifolds on before I drop the engine in just because they always seem to be such a pain in the rump.