Advice needed on motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dans

Reaction score
Hi,I'm new to the forum and need some advice on swapping in a new 88-95 5.7 crate motor into my 1990 k1500.I have done about 10 motor swaps but this will be my first rear wheel drive truck swap.My only question is what's the easiest way to get the engine and transmission to line back up on the install? I have a good engine crane,jack stands and a craftsman heavy duty truck jack.No transmission jack though.I will be leaving the old transmission in the truck and only pulling out the old motor and installing the new crate motor.I was thinking about bolting up the motor mounts and then messing with the transmission to engine bolts last? Just wasn't sure if this would be the best way.Thanks for your advice.Dan

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a set of 3" alignment dowels made from bolts with the heads cut off. I cut a slot in the end so they can be removed with a flat blade screwdriver.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
The last time I did one on a complete truck, I had actually just pulled everything out all together, and installed the trans while the engine was out, made things way easier. Regardless if its auto or manual, if the engine is out, its only a couple more bolts for the trans, and then you can get to all of the engine to trans bolts super easy while its out and drop it all back in together.

dans

Reaction score
Skylark,I like your idea.I don't wanna pull the transmission for no reason.Did you bolt up the mounts before or after using your dowls.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After. The mounts where on the block and frame and all I had to do was slide the through bolts into it.

dans

Reaction score
Thanks Skylark. I'm gonna try your idea.I heard about your idea before on youtube comments but wasn't sure how he removed them but now I understand.What did you do? Use two dowels at 3 & 9 oclock positions?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Usually. Occasionally I will put them in on the same side. No rhyme or reason for it though.

dans

Reaction score
Thanks again.I have one more issue.What's the best way to reach the top bellhousing bolts ? I wanna remove them from the top without lowering the tranny if possible.Maybe with two wrenches connected? Also what is the bolt size.Trying to get prepared to see if I can reach them tonight.I guess I could remove the dizzy for a bit more room.Or remove the intake manifold?