ABS light after lift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically it should as long everything else is/was in working order before and still is

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yes. The VSS is thinking your rear wheels are spinning at one speed but the fronts are reading a different speed due to being at the wheels.

Actually, the front wheels don't read "speed" at all. It just measures pulses or none. Its kind of binary iirc.

Abs uses the speed signal from the ecm to know if it's below activation speed. It also uses the sensor in the tail housing (or transfer case) to sense rear wheel speed, although that has always kind of baffled me a bit as to how it knows if you're locked up or simply sitting at a stop light. Unless it does the same as the front and disables below the cut off speed.

The Kelsy Hayes is advertised as 4wabs, but its actually more like 3wabs. The two front have separate sensors and the rear channels only use one.

Re-flalhing the ecm may fix it, but it may not.

I'm skeptical it will, but I've seen weirder things and the speedo recal has to be done anyways.

I'm interested to see if it actually fixes it. If it does, I have a bit of rereading to do....:)

The abs trouble codes can be pulled with a scanner or they old paper clip method will make the abs deliver flash out codes. This procedure is NOT the same as pulling the obdi codes from an earlier style truck. The pins are different, I just can't remember which ones they are. I want to say a and h, but Thats as much a guess as anything. I just use the scanner with enhanced gm code pack so the paperclip info is gone out of my head....:rofl:

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I've seen it read 55mph before

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't have one while moving yet but i can get one tomorrow

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yeah. I've seen it read 55mph before

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't have one while moving yet but i can get one tomorrow

What scanner is that?

I ask because it shows separate rear sensors and that's not correct...

Jizanthapus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did this too after getting regeared. Changing out the final drive speedo gear currently.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Its Torque Pro for my Android phone. It works with any obd2 vehicle.

Ah, I see.

Torque is pretty general, that's why its showing two rear sensors. I have pro on my nexus, I might give it a try to see what's up.

I'll have to hook up my tester and see if it gives speed. I've only ever looked for codes, no need to monitor it otherwise. It probably will show a freq since its essentially an ad high/low pulse.