Ability and Pros/Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Friendly discussions still enlighten those that witness them.

I live in a town where the big fad is 22 inch rims on Crown Vics and the few nice trucks that you can tell are worked on are diesels.

Yuck. And I don't mind diesels, it's just the drivers of them who let it get to their heads and think they're the baddest thing around that ****** me off, especially when it's just some stocker with oversized tires

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree that the LS engines are a superior design, all of our fleet trucks are 6.0s and they're awesome, our workhorse truck is a 4 door long bed with a full service bed full to the top with tools, a Hobart generator/welder, 60 gallon air compressor, and 50 gallon diesel tank. That truck never ceases to amaze me how it still hauls ass with all that weight. Just for s and giggles I raced my buddies '95 (VERY good running stock truck but hey, it's still a TBI) and flat out smoked him. That service truck has to weigh three times what his does.

BUT I like being able to reach back into an endless supply of decades worth of GM performance that will all still just bolt on, are much cheaper than LS parts, and can be tuned in without an issue. I'd be willing to bet dollar for dollar I could make that 7.4 whip any LS. Not to mention, you just can't beat the nasty sound of a big block. :D

That being said, the 6.0 swap is still in the back of my head, because it does still have a large aftermarket support as well as the reliability. Though I doubt I ever will, I'm a Pontiac man at heart, and will have an injected Pontiac in my truck in the future.
You know, I still cannot find a solid answer as to why LS engines are so much better.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yuck. And I don't mind diesels, it's just the drivers of them who let it get to their heads and think they're the baddest thing around that ****** me off, especially when it's just some stocker with oversized tires
I also forgot to mention that all these Crown Vics are either bright colors (lime green, baby blue, etc.) or have "sponsors" across the sides (dark brown with Herseys down the side).

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
You know, I still cannot find a solid answer as to why LS engines are so much better.

Just progression of technology, really. Simple way to put it is to look at the TBI and Vortec 350s. Though they share the same generation, the Vortec is just an overall better engine, simply because time allowed the engineering to improve

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just progression of technology, really. Simple way to put it is to look at the TBI and Vortec 350s. Though they share the same generation, the Vortec is just an overall better engine, simply because time allowed the engineering to improve
Would a 4L80e fit an LS engine?

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice breakdown Tecxas, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on the weight of the swap. :) You are right that you can shave pounds off of one with headers, removal of the clutch fan, etc. But it being apples to apples, whatever you do to make the BBC lighter you can do to the SBC to make lighter too. Ultimately a BBC will make more power and certain things are easier to do on them then the L31, like injection.

Yes. 4L80Es and 4L60Es were bolted behind LS engines.

Last edited:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. 4L80Es and 4L60Es were bolted behind LS engines.
Okay, because the first major upgrade I plan on is going to be a trans upgrade.

Also, this may be a stupid stupid question, but would a 6L80e fit behind an L31 or L29?

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything will fit, might even bolt up, but the major problem with the 6L80E is going to be the electronics to control it. I'm really not sure if the 411 could handle it and stand alone electronics (if they are around) are going to cost you a lot of money. The ammount of money you spend on getting it running will not be worth a mile to two in gas mileage or the incremental performance.

All along I did not realize that you had a 2WD. Looking at the Craigslist you can get yourself a 4L80E for around $200. You'll need to rebuild it, but in the end will have a very beefy powertrain for around $1,500. You'll need to do some research on what years will work for your truck though.

The other thing to consider is your axle. If you have the 10-bolt, especially with the G80, it will not last long behind the 454. Start looking for the 14-bolt semi-floater, the 9.5" diff. I'd get the one with the G80 too, since they are quite a bit more stout than the 10-bolt versions.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything will fit, might even bolt up, but the major problem with the 6L80E is going to be the electronics to control it. I'm really not sure if the 411 could handle it and stand alone electronics (if they are around) are going to cost you a lot of money. The ammount of money you spend on getting it running will not be worth a mile to two in gas mileage or the incremental performance.

All along I did not realize that you had a 2WD. Looking at the Craigslist you can get yourself a 4L80E for around $200. You'll need to rebuild it, but in the end will have a very beefy powertrain for around $1,500. You'll need to do some research on what years will work for your truck though.

The other thing to consider is your axle. If you have the 10-bolt, especially with the G80, it will not last long behind the 454. Start looking for the 14-bolt semi-floater, the 9.5" diff. I'd get the one with the G80 too, since they are quite a bit more stout than the 10-bolt versions.
Well the 454 will probably be the last thing I do. First will be 4L80e, rebuilt or new. Next will be 4WD conversion via SAS. And yes, I know I can get an already 4WD Suburban for probably less than I'll spend to convert, but I want the experience of doing it myself. And when I do the SAS, I plan to upgrade the rear axle as well. Now, if by some miracle, a K1500 suburban frame falls in my lap, then I'll forgo the SAS because for what bit of off-road is available around here, I dont need that high of articulation. I wish my uncle would let me pay him to do the swap with his K1500 ECSB, but he doesnt want his to be 2WD, even though his 4WD doesnt work technically.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Converting from 2WD to 4WD is one of those very tough things, since frames are different, at lest sections of them. 4WD uses torsion bars instead of coil springs too, which means all new front suspension aside from the 4WD bits. I hope you are a seasoned welder and fabricator, cause it's going to take a good amount of each to properly locate and fit all the bracketry that the 2WD is missing or is different. You'd be better off buying another Suburban. I'm not trying to dismay you, but this is a HUGE undertaking.