A machinist , a turbo and his L31 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Well it helps when you see the work someone does. you do some pretty good work too.

Thank you for the compliment.
I come from the the line of thought that there is a right way and wrong way of doing things. There is a proper tool for the job. If you dont cut corners , take chances it will all come together and workout.
Not to say there are not more than one way to skin a cat . It just has to be proven and work.
-End Rant-....

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
So I was offered a job last month making 10$ more an hour. Than my last job. Its awful demanding though. So I really not done much but fix a leaking tranny cooler line. No leaks any where .
So I literally have no time. I would be lying if I said I wasnt scared tuning my motor wrong. I went to the local shop that tunes new camros . They want to charge me an initial 1000$= 4 hours to base tune my ride and as the season changes I ill have to come back in for more tuning.
Then I thought about holleys efi ecu and its self learning features. They happen to have a 20% off special. Im really close to biting the bullet. It just seems like an awful much for a truck I will never race.Seems like I can spend 1500 or 2100(depending on efi) on allot other stuff.
So just wanted to let others know where my trucks at.
O the truck has a Name
FR8TRAIN~

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Me personally I would go for it. just adjust a little at a time and play with it

Its not like that . You cant adjust a little at a time. This combination of motor was never built so every aspect of the tune is so far different from stock you really have to know a thing or 2 . None of the settings are close to stock in any way. My biggest fear is once I put aload on the motor I dont want to send a piston through the head from being to....
I found out to get transmission control I have to buy the dominator 2200+ and im not sure if it controls 4low. 2200 is allot of money for a truck I will never race.
I may have to stick with hp tuners if thats the case. Or swap tranfer cases . Im unsure still.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am very uneducated in turning but I would think as long as you leave the knock sensor there and don't go to lean or rich with the air fuel ratio there's no way to hurt the motor internally. like I said I don't know. I would see if you can't get some help or advice from Justin at blackbear he has been very helpful to me even with something that has nothing to do with the tune. Justin may actually be your best bet if you don't tune it yourself also

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah just keep you foot out of it, start with a nice, conservative tI ming map, and go from there. Calc.vet and Calc.maft will have your fueling squared away very quickly. If you bring a truck to the dyno that only requires knock threshold tuning, they'll let you off easier. What I do is globally bump the map until I see knock traces, then back off those cells and the ones aron them. Next I'll try and bump the bottom of the map. I also delete the PE timing adder and I ensure the truck keeps its timing right to redline. Pull at least 1 degree of timing per pound of boost to start and you should be able to do your VE and MAF without hurting anything.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
I am very uneducated in turning but I would think as long as you leave the knock sensor there and don't go to lean or rich with the air fuel ratio there's no way to hurt the motor internally. like I said I don't know. I would see if you can't get some help or advice from Justin at blackbear he has been very helpful to me even with something that has nothing to do with the tune. Justin may actually be your best bet if you don't tune it yourself also

I would never get a over the net tune . You really need to be there driving the car to tune a fI/H/C/I combo. They need to physical hear smell inspect whats changing.
But that brings me back to the holley dominator and its self learning feature. It learns the fuel maps itself.
I have 0 problems paying someone to do a job.99% of the time I can and will do the job myself so I hate paying someone for my lazyness if I could do it.
Yes and no knock sensors will adjust knock but with larger more radical cams you have to desensitize the KS. Plus under boost all it takes is one wrong move If I fire the piston on its way up @ 30psi game over.
My Ecu is for a LS motor , Obviously this is a SBC with a turbo and huge cam heads intake enormous tb. I had to subtract 20% of the VE (main fuel table) just to get it to start up. Quite the opposite of what one would think.
SO the tune has been quite tricky , it uses a few different models mapping. It wont start on its own if I left all the maps untouched.

Yeah just keep you foot out of it, start with a nice, conservative tI ming map, and go from there. Calc.vet and Calc.maft will have your fueling squared away very quickly. If you bring a truck to the dyno that only requires knock threshold tuning, they'll let you off easier. What I do is globally bump the map until I see knock traces, then back off those cells and the ones aron them. Next I'll try and bump the bottom of the map. I also delete the PE timing adder and I ensure the truck keeps its timing right to redline. Pull at least 1 degree of timing per pound of boost to start and you should be able to do your VE and MAF without hurting anything.

Im SD only right now so maf tables are void only VE
Im sure I can figure it out. Its a time thing. Something I dont have so Im on the fence about getting the holley dominator Ecu. Can I buyit yes do I really want to spend that much money on a truck I dont race no .But do I want to fork 2000$ over to get my engine tune for a full season. Defiantly not.
All holley products are 20% off untill the 31 thats allot of money I could save on the same note I need allot for the truck that I cant buy at the moment if I get the ECU I cant but the stuff I need.
But if I go with the holley ecu I wont have to worry about how Ill be setting the car up again your buying into a way of life I guess. I would have to worry about a tuning bill but to set spark again.
Im most likely going to stick with HP tuners. The dominates overkill.

Last edited: