A machinist , a turbo and his L31 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
My name is Mark .
First let me say this build is not about horse power , drag racing or 1/4 mile times. Its about TQ , fuel economy and a efficient dependable motor.
I own a small company ( DNA CNC and Machine) that made 2 stroke parts a while back when I was younger. I since went to college (BS in Engineering ) and haven't made 2 stroke parts in some time. Flash forward 10 years I ended up getting a great job in the aerospace industry doing cad cam work for a subcontracting corporation off of Sikorsky helicopter.
At Home I have a beautiful shop 4 axis cnc mill , lathe knee mill 2 tig machines welding and sheetmetal area( 30 in brake roller bender) with JMR tubing ultra and pipe bender , dedicated inspection area with 6ftx6ftx1ft A surface plate.
So my 4l60E took a crap on me last year . I completely rebuilt it with a lot of extra goodies. With in 50 miles my intake manifold L31 out of my 97 GMC Yukon decided it wanted to leak . I didnt realize for a bit. It tore my bearings up.
Not being my only ride I first was going to just re-ring the motor with new bearings. Then I purchased new heads . Well I decided to build a pretty awesome towing rig that had decent fuel economy. In my mind I needed a turbo for that . Because Im always moving equipment . Ive always wanted a 5th wheel camper . And well it was a great excuse to use my equipment .
So far . Ive been buying stuff to support my plan. All forged 383 motor 8:5.1 compression Ratio with + .030 Weisco forged pistons , Scat 6in pro comp forged rods, 4340 3.750 Crankshaft , Barrett racing R.H.S.( Dart Chinese copys) 205cc heads , GT45 single ebay turbo kit thats was horrible made. 6 in lift kit from ruff country . Before I go father I know allot have said and have there arguments with Chinese parts. I personally have measured and looked for run out on both the heads and turbo kit.
The heads were machined so well I was very surprised. The turbocharger was also made with exceptional workmanship. The turbo manifold on the other hand was horrible warped. With holes not properly lining up to the mating counterparts on the heads . Then to try and correct it you can clearly tell it was put on a belt grinder with the hopes of looking flat. The one of the turbo kit part that was made in the usa( in the kit) was pretty screwed up.
So far I need to buy a cam , valves , valve springs , blow off valve .
I need to make , remake re-machine the turbo manifold , Custom front mount Intercooler , intake manifold , front push bumper , flip shackles , and A arms.
Now for the pictures. Sorry for the camera its pretty old.
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
wow man, awsome shop! I cant wait to hear more from this build!

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Please be patient with me . I will be the first to admit I procrastinate and take longer than most to do stuff.
Im still debating what ecu to run. Im not sure if I want to use a mega squirt or do the coil per cylinder 411 conversion and use HP tuners or EFI live. Any input would be great.
Please excuse the mess in my shop. When I get going its hard to clean and work.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
This is awesome man! Can't wait to enjoy this ride of a build.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
wow man, awsome shop! I cant wait to hear more from this build!

Thanks man . My shop is my pride and joy. I enjoy fabrication more than just building. All my equipment has cost some money but I promise you this . It has paid for its self back not only that any hobby I have Im able to use my machines . Everything from Ultralights to firearms. Its a great hobby in its own and machinist tools from 100 years ago are still valid and used today. Its what made e go back to school and go after the career I have. I honestly still cant believe I make what I do drawing pictures on a computer.
This is awesome man! Can't wait to enjoy this ride of a build.
Me either this really broke the bank .
Welcome!
Vortecs...intake manifold gaskets...Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

Thanks for the warm welcomes but Ive been a member here since 2012 . I just dont post much.
Yeah the eaky intakes are something else . I almost went with a LSX to try and be a little more modern but I wouldn't of been able to buy parts as cheap and the L31 isnt a bad motor.
End goal is hopefully 5th wheel and travel to Alaska. I live in Connecticut.
So im going to start the intake soon but first I need to covert my 2 bolt main to a 4 bolt so I can send it off to be bored and line honed. Still looking for suggestions on a ECU .
The large knee mill and Lathe are being CNCed also . I have all the components just need to machine adapter plates. Ill post up some pictures.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The only bad thing I've ever heard about Megasquirt is the learning curve for tuning it. It usually takes a while just to get the engine to idle correctly, but seeing your background and capabilities I'm sure you have the patience to tune one without many issues.