A machinist , a turbo and his L31 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Today was a little better than yesterday. Got to figure out why the BOV isnt opening when I close the throttle I heard a little compressor surge. Im going to have to grab a vacuum gauge to tune it the rest.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Crank the boost up higher and it'll go. Do it for America.

Its a vacuum thing at idle. Turbos dont make boost at idle really unlike superchagers .Maybe pound , pound and a half at most. There needs to be a load present to make boost .
As good as it sounds it could be running better. It needs to be making more vacuum when I close the throttle blade. When the tb blade close it sends a surge of boost to the BOV that pushes on the bottom of the bov piston up while vacuum pulls on the top of the piston. They both work hand and hand opening the bov. Its more vacumm than boost though @ idle . When I tune it better it will pull more vacuum and open. If I was in drive im sure it would work.

How are you liking HP Tuner? Did you get the standard or professional?

Its good I guess Ive never used a stand alone or ecu tuner before so I have nothing to compare it to. I will say it lived up to my expectations and then some. There isnt anything thats not adjustable.
Best part unlike a standalone this tool can and will follow me to many projects in the future or just as a basic diagnostic tool.
It has a bit of a learning curve but the info is there if the user is willing to read , tune and test.
I have the professional. I need to be able to data log wide band , exhaust gas temp ect.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its good I guess Ive never used a stand alone or ecu tuner before so I have nothing to compare it to. I will say it lived up to my expectations and then some. There isnt anything thats not adjustable.
Best part unlike a standalone this tool can and will follow me to many projects in the future or just as a basic diagnostic tool.
It has a bit of a learning curve but the info is there if the user is willing to read , tune and test.
I have the professional. I need to be able to data log wide band , exhaust gas temp ect.

Alright cool. I've been wanting to get HPT for awhile now, there's just been things to purchase that have been higher on the need list lately. Hopefully sometime this winter I can get it and start learning.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
The past week I finished the cooling system and upgraded it. The motor has had about 3 complete heat cycles .
So I went to my local junkyard found a radiator from a 3500 6.5td . Its significantly taller and thicker. SO you have to take the mounts , rubbers and shroud. I also grabbed the 2 bar Map sensor and the screw in Iat .
Between the new radiator , and straight coupled flex fan it should keep everything cool including my front mount intercoooler .
I have to return and buy a longer top radiator hose its in a bad place over the intake tube.
Motor runs great , i had some leaks I fixed quick.
Now its time to focus on driving it. Finish the suspensions few nut and bolts here and there .

You must be registered for see images

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Its gettin closer! I for one am excited to see some tire shreading out of this beast! Keep up the good work!