A.I.R pump question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my question is really can I remove it? My last truck 88 eclb 5.7 Scottsdale was the exact same truck as my 92 eclb 5.7 Scottsdale and it did not have a air pump and passed smog. My 92 does not have any labels on it stating that it has an air pump. Actually all the stickers on the fan shroud are missing. So can I remove it and still pass smog?

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
No, the required emission equipment will be listed in the equipment manual all smog inspection stations are required to have. The procedure for the tech is to look for the sticker and if it's missing use the manual. It's been 8 years since I smoged a car in Cali but I don't suspect it's changed much in this area.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm. That makes me wonder because my neighbor has a 93 and he dose not nave a air pump and passes smog. He bought the truck from the original owner and the truck was bought and has stayed in Cali since new.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Different combinations have different requirements I don't know what you have compared to your neighbor. I gave you the correct information on how the process works the decision is up to you. It sounds like you have already decided what you want to do. I have seen guys fail stuff that should pass and pass stuff that should have failed. I worked as a smog tech in California for 15 years and I worked for the Bureau of Automotive Repair for a short period of time before I left the state. I'm not pulling this information out of my ass. Good luck with what ever you decide.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Knuckle Dragger "Different combinations have different requirements"

This I did not know about. Please excuse my ignorance of smog laws, I was just trying to see why I wouldn't be able to remove it. I still am not fully understanding the full function/use of a air pump. I guess I should have worded my question a little better.