A/C System Replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time lurker here. I have a 1990 GMC Sierra regular cab with the 5.7L engine. The truck is stock and has 154,000 miles on it. This truck runs as great as the day it came home from the dealer. But I am in Texas and it's getting hot. I have gone the past 3 summers without A/C but I finally have enough money saved up to fix the A/C. I am a disabled police officer but can do most of the work myself. But money is tight.
About 3 summers ago my compressor seized up. I pulled the old compressor and installed a bypass pulley due to lack of funds. I would like some advice as to what I will need. I am thinking that since the compressor seized I will need to replace everything from the firewall forward. This includes accumulator, high/low lines, compressor, and condenser. Orifice tube is in the condenser on this truck. I was also thinking about installing one of those inline filters to catch any junk before the compressor. I know I will need to vacuum out the system and recharge.
Can any one you think of something else I need to do or replace? Money is tight and I would like to do this right the first time. A shop quoted me $1200 and I just can't do that. I think I can do it myself for just under $500. Thanks.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You will need to flush out the system out the system with some ac flush, and an air compressor. Youtibr has great videos on how to fo this

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Completely clean the entire system and replace the dryer as well

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flush anything you don't replace, you should use nitrogen and not compressed air to do this... Compressed air carries moisture which you don't want to put into the system.

scottx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We did mine a few months ago and it's the best $300 I've ever spent. Blows ice cold. I live in San Antonio and it's hot already. Where do you live?

I bought a new compressor, drier & changed all the o-rings and pressure switches (2). My upper hose was leaking and I had to replace it also. Blew out the condenser with compressed air (filtered five feet from the nozzle) and changed the orifice tube/filter. It didn't have much metal in it but it was broken off and I had to use air and some long skinny needle-nose pliers to get it out. I really thought for a minute I'd be buying a condenser.

I rented the vacuum pump and gauges to vacuum it down from the local Auto-Zone. I work at a local custom shop and the general manager knows a lot about AC and helped me fill it and do it all correctly. It calls for a full bottle of PAG-Oil (8 ounces) and 3 1/2 cans of freon. Pour the OIL into the compressor & the drier. Most ends up it the drier from what I've been told.

If your in the San Antonio area I'd be happy to help you out. Send me a PM if so.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that responded. Thank you very much scottx for the offer of help but I am in the DFW area. Just North of Dallas. What would I need to flush out if I were replacing everything forward of the firewall? Or are you saying I should just flush the system and not replace the condenser and lines? And is the accumulator the same thing as the dryer that several of you referred to? I am also going to rent the pump from Autozone if it's available.

scottx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I emailed you back

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sry. I got an email a few days ago but never got one yesterday. Wasn't in my "junk' folder either.