99 Suburban LT K1500 - Slow build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Everybody pretends they've never heard of Superlift until they finally see one. "Whoa, THAT'S a Superlift??" Makes their RCX look like trash lol

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
So when I was installing my lift, in order to drop the torsion bar cross member, I had to clear the transmission cross member. I didn't feel like unbolting the tranny, unbolting the cross member from it, then lifting both... so I assumed I could just unbolt 1 side of the tranny cross member and jack it up 1" to squeeze 1 side of the torsion bar cross member through.

When I did that - something popped/cracked REALLY loud. I thought everything had a bit of twist/flex to it, so I was shocked. I checked everything I could get my eyes and a flashlight on, and couldn't find the source.

So now when I first take off form being parked, sometimes I can hear come from underneath the truck, and feel in the pedal, a series of clangs. Like clang clang clang, and then as soon as I am moving it's smooth. I don't have any drive line vibrations at any speeds up to 90. I can't figure out what it is.

Anyone got some input?

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe the front driveshaft? That's a strange problem your having. You said you bought the upgraded front shaft so I'm assuming you have the autotrac.

Is the new shaft a cv style or ujoint style? If cv it could be popping under initial load perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a question for you too, when you installed the lift did you have to modify your y pipe? If not then I will be using that header combo since whoever had my burb hacked the exhaust all to hell.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I had a question for you too, when you installed the lift did you have to modify your y pipe? If not then I will be using that header combo since whoever had my burb hacked the exhaust all to hell.

I don't have the front driveshaft in place yet, due to needing to modify my exhaust. Unfortunately, I'll most likely have to modify my headers to clear the front driveshaft, and scratch the y pipe all together. The headers are great, but where they collect, and where the 02 bung is, is exactly where the exhaust needs to turn in to clear the drive shaft.

I could be wrong, but I'll update once I've tackled that problem. In response to the sound... It can't be my front driveshaft ;) lol.
Maybe the front driveshaft? That's a strange problem your having. You said you bought the upgraded front shaft so I'm assuming you have the autotrac.

Is the new shaft a cv style or ujoint style? If cv it could be popping under initial load perhaps?

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, bummer about the y pipe. Mine has a 6" lift as well but the person boogered the welds pretty badly when the extended the y pipe.

On previous trucks I always extended the y pipe to go below the trans tail shaft and will prolly be the way I do this suburban as well.

I'll keep thinking on what that sound might be. It's gotta be something rotating. Perhaps it's not related to the pop your heard prior.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Still having the issue, haven't been able to locate the source of the noise as it's only happens in drive, when first starting to move. I'm gonna go over everything this weekend and make sure everything is tight.

Next week I'll get a custom drive shaft made, but it won't install until I get the exhaust fixed. I'll also be getting my gears and truetracs installed.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I thought you already had your gears in? My trucks a dog with 35s, bet your burb is too

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I thought you already had your gears in? My trucks a dog with 35s, bet your burb is too
Was supposed to, but they had to reschedule. Gets dropped off Monday and they'll be doing gears, New carriers, master kits, truetracs, and a performance deep diff cover, and the billet aluminum double cardan front drive shaft.

It's not horrible (from what it was) atm, but I can feel the loss from 33s, as I did originally from stock. Having my mods helps tho - can't wait to drive it with gears. It's a dog in general though, pretty sure it's the transmission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
What gear are you swapping to? Did you say truetracs? What are you putting in the front differential?

I have a lowly RCX kit and also had to have a bent length of pipe patched in to clear the front driveshaft. It works for now but what is right for any of us is bigger headpipes anyways. Sounds like you have that with your headers, but they're in the way. Maybe you could just move the O2 sensor bung somewhere else.