99 escalade won't start, replaced crank sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlrudnik

Reaction score
Well cap was bad, rotor was bad, plug were bad and clearly the gear is bad.. Dropped it in and think I'm still a tooth off, but gotta go to work. But I'm off tomorrow so I'll get it running again. I've never seen a gear that bad before.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec distributors use a "pickled" gear. If wrong gear is used the above is the result. The cam might be OK. And, it might not. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec distributors use a "pickled" gear. If wrong gear is used the above is the result. The cam might be OK. And, it might not. YMMV

Melonized...or something like that?

rlrudnik

Reaction score
You're probably right with needing a new cam eventually. I'm going to go over the whole truck and end up putting a new frame under it over summer, so it will get a new one while the engine is out.. Just need it to make it till then as it is.. Damn near the whole truck is new and in good shape just the frame is losing the rust battle.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worn distributor gears are a common failure on Vortec engine. Often the cam will survive for a while.
Probably find some metal bits on the drain plug magnet...

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That distributor gear looks like the starter drive gear on my old starter. The cap was bad and it was trying to fire two cylinders simultaneously. Ended up frying the drive bad enough to bust the end off the starter! But thankfully I have not had this distributor issue, will be watching for it if the truck starts getting out of time. Good luck with your project!

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Well cap was bad, rotor was bad, plug were bad and clearly the gear is bad.. Dropped it in and think I'm still a tooth off, but gotta go to work. But I'm off tomorrow so I'll get it running again. I've never seen a gear that bad before.

Welp. That'll do it. Glad you found the problem. I second the other with checking your cam gear. Mine was fine, but it does give you an excuse to put a bigger cam in [emoji6]

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk