99' 2dr Resurgent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DustyHoe

Reaction score
I purchased my 99’ Chevy, 2door Tahoe from a dealership in Tacoma, WA in 03’. I have always had a thing for the 2door SUV, so after getting situated into the Army life I began the search. In between deployments I would have my buddies drive me around to all of the local dealerships. One night I spotted it from about a quarter of a mile away and knew I had found what I was looking for. 4x4, 36k on the dash, and it was super clean, after 3 years the search was over.

A K&N cold air intake, Gibson stainless steel shorty headers, and true dual exhaust through Flowmaster 40 series were installed after one of the later deployments. The Tahoe took me and my buddies all around WA state and a half dozen or more trips to Vancouver, B.C. until it was time to separate from the Army. I was Honorably Discharged 05’ and it was time to go back home to Florida and see what the Tahoe could do in the mud holes.

It wasn’t long before the white 2door was completely covered in the dark black Florida mud. I ran it hard and it never disappointed. There were many late nights of mud slinging, mufflers screaming, headers glowing and beer flowing. I gave it hell, but the 5.7 vortec kept giving back, the body however was taking damage. One night a tow rope slipped off my brother-in-laws ball and caved in my tailgate as I was trying to retrieve his Ford, a few weeks after that I took the Tahoe and bounced the passenger side off of a guard rail.

It was in early 07’ that I packed up the Tahoe and moved across the country again, this time to the desert southwest. Traded the grass and dirt for rocks and sand. The new terrain offered new off-road experiences and new dents and dings to go along with them. One late bud light night, I tried to retrieve a friends Toyota from a deceptively soft sand pit. I quickly became a victim of the pit and after about an hour or more of shifting from first to reverse, the transmission started leaking and my friend was calling a tow company.
You must be registered for see images attach

Shortly after the sand pit worked me over, the transmission stopped shifting, causing the Tahoe to become a project that I had no time or money for. It was paid off now and it was no longer the primary vehicle so I parked it on the side of the house and there it sat.. for 5 years. I could never sell the Tahoe, despite the many low-ball offers. So while the Tahoe sat in its sad, maroon tailgate, black fender, busted transmission state, I started putting money aside. Priorities change, however and money gets redirected and the Tahoe continued to suffer in neglect.

It has been sitting too long, its time to breath some life back into my Tahoe.

Last edited:

DustyHoe

Reaction score
A Learning Experience

I have always liked the idea of being a Gearhead, but I am far from being mechanically inclined. However, this is a project that I can take my time on and learn the skills necessary for maintaining my hoe. Now, I should also mention that I am lacking in respects to patients. So… lets remove this transmission.

I stocked the garage fridge with beer, consolidate my sparse collection hand tools, watched a few minutes of “How to Videos” on YouTube, and got with it. As I lay underneath the Tahoe staring up at the ever present Florida mud mixed with tranny fluid, I decide to call my friend John over for a beer. Understanding that John and I were more of acquaintances than friends, I was kind of surprised when agreed to help, maybe as surprised as he was to get a call from me asking for help.

After a few busted knuckles, and a thirty pack of beer, John and I had the transmission on the ground in a little less than 4 hours. John did most of the work and I did most of the drinking, but all in all it was a good learning experience.

DustyHoe

Reaction score
Stage 2 Shift Kit?

I sent the transmission to a friend of a friend who agreed to rebuild the 4L60e for the fair price of $600. Now, at some point I remember hearing something about a “Stage 2 Shift Kit”. I don’t know what a Stage 2 Shift Kit is, but it sounded like something that I could use, so I tell my friend to have his friend throw in a Stage 2 Shift Kit while his in there. He said that wouldn't be a problem and that it wouldn't change anything as far as the $600 was concerned.

Three weeks later, I get the transmission back and I reach out to my old acquaintance, John. The install went about as smoothly as the removal, a few busted knuckles, copious amounts of beer, and about 5 hours later the transmission was ready for fluid. Time to fire the Hoe up?... Nope!.. dead battery.

Next day I get a new battery from the battery store. Time to fire the Hoe up?... Nope!.. no fuel.

DustyHoe

Reaction score
Bad Gas = Bad News

I dropped the tank and removed the fuel sending unit without the assistance of John. Well, the fuel sending unit kind of just dangled there. I guess there is a special tool needed to disconnect the assembly? The accordion hoses have completely deteriorated.

I wonder what the injectors look like?

DustyHoe

Reaction score
Tahoe Down

Two months in El Paso, and another baby on the way, the Hoe was going down again.

I just want to hear her run again.

I want air tools.

DustyHoe

Reaction score
Mo money, No time

It's been almost a year since I dropped the tank. Second baby boy is here, job responsibilities have increased and free time has decreased. My neighbors were mean mugging and as much as I want to learn and have the satisfaction of doing it myself, I had to concede and I towed it to a shop.

DustyHoe

Reaction score
Something Diffrent

As much as I love a clean looking OBS Chevy, I want to go in a different direction with my Hoe. Something unique but tough looking. Here is where my head is at on the front end.

DustyHoe

Reaction score
Body Work & Paint

DustyHoe

Reaction score
Black and White

DustyHoe

Reaction score

Made by a company under the current name of “Tactical Armour Group”. Undoubtedly the worst customer service I have ever experienced. He took full payment the day after I placed the order for the bumper. I was given a 12 week lead time. I called three months later and was told that my bumper was in assembly and would be shipping sometime before the end of the month. It didn't ship and they didn't call, so I called the beginning of the next month and was told that my bumper was in assembly and would be shipping sometime this month. This went on for 6 months, I would call at the beginning of the month, and they would feed me the same default lie that is used when they have absolutely no idea when the job will be done.

9 months and half a dozen frustrating conversations with the owner, I get a call. “Your bumper is ready to ship, sir. We need $200 for shipping.” So, I pay them and ask for a tracking number. “It will be picked up Wednesday, and we’ll get a tracking number at that time.” Wednesday came and went just like the rest of the week, and no call. I couldn't help but think that they had just got me again, I had just handed someone $1,200 for something that I will never see or was ever even made. Another call to the company at which time I was assured that it would ship the following Monday. So, Monday it ships (without a tracking number) and two weeks later it arrives.

(Edit with construction details after fielding)