Tinkering with a 99 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Has anyone used a fuel filter/water separator in place of the factory fuel filter? I’ve been digging around trying to find information to see if it’s a viable upgrade. I found a few marine style filters that are suitable for gasoline. Mostly I’m finding diesel style fuel filters and I didn’t know if it would be compatible for gasoline. Wanted something easy to access and change while still performing well.

Why a water separator? That doesn't aid it being easy to access and change, which you state your reasoning is. I'd guess a spin on gasoline fuel filter would be easier to find, than one that included water separation, but it may be industrial.

There are also filters that are just like our factory filters, but use quick connects. Change the fittings on our lines, and the other filter is usable. I think they're from 3800 applications. I considered doing that when I went to nylon lines, but decided not to bother.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Why a water separator? That doesn't aid it being easy to access and change, which you state your reasoning is. I'd guess a spin on gasoline fuel filter would be easier to find, than one that included water separation, but it may be industrial.

There are also filters that are just like our factory filters, but use quick connects. Change the fittings on our lines, and the other filter is usable. I think they're from 3800 applications. I considered doing that when I went to nylon lines, but decided not to bother.
Does AC Delco still make the GF62C(I think that's the correct part #) add on fuel filter? It goes inline, and has a metal canister that unscrews from the top and has a replaceable filter cartridge (#GF157). Dad had these on several of our square body trucks and Burbs, since the carb models have that tiny fuel filter in the carb inlet line fitting. God help you if you get that nut cross threaded in the carb housing.....

nathanadams16

Reaction score

I wasn’t really looking for the water separator. So far all the screw on style that I’m finding that are designed for gasoline are marine applications that include the separator. I didn’t know if there was one without the separator that would work. And I was unsure of the differences/similarities between gasoline versus diesel filters. I don’t want simplicity to create another problem somewhere else.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I’m not super familiar with fuel pressure systems. Could using this style filter in place of the OE one make the pump work harder on a TBI? Am I over thinking this?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wasn’t really looking for the water separator. So far all the screw on style that I’m finding that are designed for gasoline are marine applications that include the separator. I didn’t know if there was one without the separator that would work. And I was unsure of the differences/similarities between gasoline versus diesel filters. I don’t want simplicity to create another problem somewhere else.

I see. Maybe contact Baldwin. They're big in industrial/commercial filtration, and could probably help you.

Edit: Now, I see Orpedcrow beat me to it.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The system is already pushing fuel thru an inline filter and then UP to the throttle body. I would bet, that an add on spin-on type filter, under the hood, would be no problem because from that spin on filter to the throttle body area is already up there.

Besides, you could remove the inline filter and add a push pump in it's place.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I’m not super familiar with fuel pressure systems. Could using this style filter in place of the OE one make the pump work harder on a TBI? Am I over thinking this?
I hadn’t thought about that, I’m sure Baldwin (or whoever) could supply the delta p across whatever filter and housing is chosen. But like movietvet mentioned, it’s probably not that much of a difference.