98 Suburban Headlamp knob Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c_becker11

Reaction score
Hello forum! I tried searching the forums but maybe I don’t know the correct name. Anyway, I have a 98 Suburban and when I rotate my headlamp switch to the Master Lighting Symbol my lights all shut off. They normally would all be on. The notch I have it in the photo works, and most of my lights work I just can’t use high beams in that selection. Does this mean I need a new switch? I checked all fuses and they were good. Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That position is exterior/ parking lights on , no headlights.
The top position is headlights and exterior lights. Switching between high and low beams is through turn signal stalk multifunction control.
Do you have DRL lights? Daytime driving lights? If you have the owners manual, the one in the glove box, it goes into details about headlight and dimmer switch complex controls.

c_becker11

Reaction score
That position is exterior/ parking lights on , no headlights.
The top position is headlights and exterior lights. Switching between high and low beams is through turn signal stalk multifunction control.
Do you have DRL lights? Daytime driving lights? If you have the owners manual, the one in the glove box, it goes into details about headlight and dimmer switch complex controls.
Yes I have DRL's and that works just fine, the only issue I am having is when I switch to that Master Lighting Symbol as it states it's called in my manual.

Also to your other comment, the position I show in the photo is the only way I have lights on. WHen I flip it vertical is when everything shuts off - lighting wise.

c_becker11

Reaction score
It’s either going to be the headlight switch that you pictured or the multi function switch. I had a similar problem not having high beams and it was my multi function switch.
Were you just not able to get High Beams to work or were your lights completely off like mine?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s either going to be the headlight switch that you pictured or the multi function switch. I had a similar problem not having high beams and it was my multi function switch.
I had the same symptoms with a bad multifunction switch - I had DRL but no low beams. I want to say that the high beams worked but don’t remember for sure.

The GM manuals (which can be downloaded here) will have the wiring diagrams if you want to check the circuit.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
See how I was kinda specific about which lights work and don't work. It narrows down what path to get to to repair.
So again , in the position you you show, generally called parking / running lights, do you have exterior lighting but NO headlights. We can't see your truck , no vague terms.

c_becker11

Reaction score
See how I was kinda specific about which lights work and don't work. It narrows down what path to get to to repair.
So again , in the position you you show, generally called parking / running lights, do you have exterior lighting but NO headlights. We can't see your truck , no vague terms.

DRL - works - including headlights
Off - stays off
Position in picture - all lights that are supposed to be on are on - including headlights
Vertical position (Master Lighting Symbol) - every light, anything that makes a light shuts off. No lights are on anywhere on the entire vehicle

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, good, if me , with no head or runnings in headlights on position , I would check the headlight switch first. Has it had some kind of internal disaster. You know it's got power coming in , is it sending power out in headlights on position. Yes or no.