98 K1500 ECU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ECU on these trucks is the black box on the left fender well that they call the VCM correct? Thanks

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess not. I'm like 90% sure that's it. Just wanted to confirm before I ship it off tomorrow to get a tune in it.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the schematic I looked at listed it as a VCM. But its on its way to get a tune and disable the stupid PASSLOCK.

Albani

Reaction score
How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking?
I have a new ECM in my truck that has not been flashed yet.
So my truck only runs in safe mode right now. I found someone local who can make a house call and flash it for $150.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking?
I have a new ECM in my truck that has not been flashed yet.
So my truck only runs in safe mode right now. I found someone local who can make a house call and flash it for $150.

Depends on who you send it to, but a good performance tune from a reputable company is usually around $200.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one was just over the 200 dollar mark and was from a very very reputable company. You can PM me and I can give you the info.

Albani

Reaction score
Well, my truck is completely stock. The previous owner replaced the ECM with a new rebuilt. He says it's in safe mode and needs to be flashed to the truck. Can I send it off to them for this? Probably a little cheaper?