98 K1500 ECU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, my truck is completely stock. The previous owner replaced the ECM with a new rebuilt. He says it's in safe mode and needs to be flashed to the truck. Can I send it off to them for this? Probably a little cheaper?

You keep saying the truck "runs in safe mode..." What do you mean exactly? The only reason I can think of that it would run rough is if the PCM you have is programmed for a different engine or transmission. If it was pulled from a truck with identical equipment and gears then your truck should run fine.

EDIT - What codes is it throwing? Check engine light?

Last edited:

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah i dont know that would be something they would have to answer. I'd guess they could do it.

Albani

Reaction score
You keep saying the truck "runs in safe mode..." What do you mean exactly? The only reason I can think of that it would run rough is if the PCM you have is programmed for a different engine or transmission. If it was pulled from a truck with identical equipment and gears then your truck should run fine.

EDIT - What codes is it throwing? Check engine light?

Code P0308 - Misfire cylinder #8.
Hard to start, backfires and diesels.
Safe mode is the PCM sensing a problem with engine and limits rpm's and keeps transmission in 2nd gear. To keep whatever is the problem from blowing up the engine.
My new PCM was in safe mode because it knew nothing about my truck. The used PCM I got from salvage yard seems to work for my truck since my transmission is now shifting through all the gears.
So I think my PCM is fine. Just need to figure out the misfire.